Random link of interest

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2016 at 11:05 PM, Jason said:

Mysterious new product!

Kurtis:

It's funny because when i see this, i say to myself , this is exactly The BUF B-Prod in a more polish style.

When i see the style of the node graph that is very close , i say to myself:  "man those guy has work at BUF that is certain".

I double check on linked in and the company is own by Jerome Bacquet former CG sup at BUF ... :)

I would be really happy to put my hand on this stuff ...

• Like 2

Here's an interesting thing about numbers and precision and stuff.

(A proposed new format for floating point representations called 'unum')

"John Gustafson, one of the foremost experts in scientific computing, has proposed a new number format that provides more accurate answers than standard floats, yet saves space and energy. The new format might well revolutionize the way we do numerical calculations."

http://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=2913029

you nerds.

• Like 2

Excellent just-released book Deskbound on how the chair is hammering the body: http://www.mobilitywod.com/deskbound/

Gift it to your producers and supervisors :)

SITTING IS THE NEW SMOKING

Recent studies show that too much sitting contributes to a host of diseases—from obesity and diabetes to cancer and depression—and literally shortens your life. The facts are in: your chair is your enemy, and it is murdering your body.

Schrödinger's Smoke (SIGGRAPH 2016)

New approach for pure Eulerian fluids, which enhances accurateness of detailed simulations without Langrangian tricks. Link to the paper posted bellow video on YT. Interestingly enough the example implementation is done Matlab and in... VEX , so you can try it out right on. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Intel® TBB Meets Heterogeneous Computing

Computing platforms are becoming increasingly heterogeneous with the combination of CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs, co-processors, and domain-specific compute engines. But programming to take advantage of these heterogeneous environments in a single application remains a challenge. This webinar provides a brief overview of Intel® Threading Building Blocks (Intel® TBB), a leading C++ template library for shared-memory parallel programming, and discuss its new and upcoming features for harnessing the More...spectrum of compute resources made available in heterogeneous systems.

These features enable asynchronous communication with devices using standard programming models, such as OpenCLTM*, and also provide the basic building blocks needed to integrate proprietary APIs for accessing devices in to an Intel TBB application in a composable way. Join us to see how you can use Intel TBB to not only exploit the CPU cores on your system, but to coordinate the other compute resources.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/intel-tbb-meets-heterogeneous-computing

hi marty! thanks for the link. i was wondering if you would know of something that would help combine that TBB kind of approach with distributed computing: heterogeneous-distributed computing. i am looking for something that would pool the compute units on a node AND the nodes on a network (without having to think of the whole thing myself). i'm dreaming of a BOINC+TBB lovechild of some kind… already implemented and open source ;) thanks in advance for any pointer you (or anybody else) might have

Hey Vincent!!  Haven't looked into it, though it sounds a bit like how Gridmarkets has put together their render service. Hoping that this new TBB can help Houdini go hetro as it already is using v4.3. 

Hakim Karim interviewed by Digital News Asia
Digital News Asia covers Hakim's entrepreneurial motivations and inspiration to start GridMarkets.

https://app.box.com/s/hfvavvuyogwt7hlij0h0

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 2.25.01 pm.png

thanks ! i'm looking for noncommercial, free, libre, things. although I'm dreaming of a Houdini that can just automagically distribute the cooking and caching of any node on a graph on all the seflannounced, selfdiscovered CPUs/GPUs/ETC on a network. But I think it would have to be rewritten from the ground up for this to work. i'll be posting some more thoughts on this on this forum in the coming weeks I hope I can get your feedback then. talk to you soon !