Houdini Hip Tricks Volume One and Two

varomix

A really good training producted you have "created" varomix.

The HOT section was very interesting for me 'cause I have made a project a while ago but failed. What I have missed in this section was a bit more about "foam" on ocean seas. Not only on crests or waves but foam on sea in general.

Looking forward to see more of your "I love houdini" :-)

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to put this training together. I know how much time it takes to do that and I am sure it will help the community!

In regards to streaming, watermarking or that stuff... in the end it will end up somewhere anyway. I think next time I will either share tutorials like Peter Quint is doing through vimeo or sidefx. It would be nice if you could get some revenue from advertising, that way it would not cost the viewer anything except for an internet connection, but I don't know if that is how it works on youtube/vimeo these days.

They have to cover their hosting costs and it would be nice if some of that ad money also flows your way. I guess it depends a bit on how popular a specific tutorial is.

• 2 weeks later...

If you take a look at past threads announcing new cmi videos you'll see an general dislike in regards to their online only distribution method.

Despite the fact that some content may look interesting, if I'm going to be paying money for things I want a real product in my hands that I can watch whenever, wherever I want. I travel, commute and am not always at home. If I've got a few minutes on a bus or plane and I want to watch a video I payed for then I'm out of luck. If cmi were to suddenly go under tomorrow, however unlikely, then all those videos I've bought are now lost forever. This seems to be the trend of late and while I'm all for online content, I don't agree with the option to not have a copy that I can control.

Agreed. Why would you punish the people who are paying for it?

Edited by kursad

I agree with that too.

In the last 2 years it was often enough that cmivfx was not reachable and I'm travelling a lot, so it is nicer to have the stuff on my machine which I have payed for. But that is only for bought tutorials. Nevertheless I have donwloaded the stream and was happy to have it on my iPad. If you have a subscription it is not easy, maybe impossible to allow customers to download things.

One point which makes me really angry was a twitter message from chris, that he found some tutorials on warez sides and because of this, he has to raise the price of some titles. I don't know if it was a serious message but I thought it was so.

Also cmiVFX invests a lot of money and infrastructure to get rid of people who put stuff on the internet for others for free, which I can completly understand but is it possible? I mean they have an underlying system (watermarking) for each video with personal data from the user but, oh wonder, however you see it on the internet. Brad Peabler from Luxology (modo) mentioned last year that it will ever impossible to protect you stuff from warez.

Afterall I think that cmiVFX is a very good resource for high quality training and I like it and I have bought much of them and was never disappointed but please you are growing very fast and don't forget your roots :-)

If you take a look at past threads announcing new cmi videos you'll see an general dislike in regards to their online only distribution method.

Hey Varomix

In the second video around 1:13 you are using the point normal for rotation? It does not sound right to me. You just plugin the point normal into the rotation values. Please do not get me wrong I am just trying to understand how one can use the normals, for the euler rotation values.

Edited by oldiesgoodies

Hey Varomix

In the second video around 1:13 you are using the point normal for rotation? It does not sound right to me. You just plugin the point normal into the rotation values. Please do not get me wrong I am just trying to understand how one can use the normals, for the euler rotation values.

can you be a bit more specific? , I can't seem to find that, if you're talking about the ship movement, well, I'm just kinda , "parenting" the ship to that point, so it follows both position and orientation

can you be a bit more specific? , I can't seem to find that, if you're talking about the ship movement, well, I'm just kinda , "parenting" the ship to that point, so it follows both position and orientation

Yes I am talking about the point parenting. The position is fine, but you were using the point expression to grab the N value for the point and using it for the rotation value. As far as I know the rotation values are in euler and in degrees, so you were using the normal of the point to rig the ship rotation which does not sound right to me. Since the N is just a coordinate value not a rotation value. I am sure I missed something there, but just wanted to ask you directly. In any case not a big deal to me, just grabbed my attention and I just wanted to understand better.