Sign in to follow this  
ResidnT

Vertex lighting

Hello folks, I have a question for you. Is there any way to do vertex lighting in houdini? I'm trying to do some poly work for game testing and I need to know if I can do this?

Thanks

ResidnT

You can use the Bake VEX sop to 'bake' the colours onto the vertices.

You can also use the Point SOP to colour the geometry.

There is also the additional option of running mantra with a commandline switch "-u" to unwrap the shader. Once the shader is unwrapped, you can apply the colours from the freshly rendered map to the point using the tex() and texni() functions... alternatively, use a VOP SOP with a Texture VOP and apply the color to Cd.

This will work with all topologies of geometry - (not only meshes and parametric m x n surfaces like the BakeVEX SOP) and will provide more accurate lighting from all directions. i.e. the frontface() call is avoided and all points are shaded correctly regardless of camera position.

Good luck!

J.

PS. you won't see the unwrap option in the "+" pop-up dialog for mantra commandline switches because SESI consider the unwrapper/baker to still be in beta. From a command shell you can do a "mantra -h" and you'll see the option in the usage statement.

-u object[:attrib] Beta-version of a texture baker

remember that the uv's MUST be vertex attributes - not point attributes!!

e.g.

mantra -u geo1 #for default attributes: uv

mantra -u geo2:uv2 #specify for vertex attributes "uv2"

Ahhh... in your first post, you stated "-b" which confused me upon seeing "-u" in the mantra help.

Now, everything's crystal clear. B)

Oh thanks! I was thinking "bake" instead of "unwrap"... but I edited the post so that people only reading halfway down don't get confused too..

Cheers Steven - sharp eyes!

J

I'm just trying to use -u parameter (such as -u model:uv, -u model:uv2, -u model:Cf, -u uv, -u Cf) but nothing see (only black mplay window).

How to render