Nuke Deep Compositing

LaidlawFX

I was going to do some deep compositing in Nuke from Houdini, but the deep read node in Nuke is looking for a DTEX file formatt. DTEX appears to be native to renderman. Does somebody know a way around this? And/or has somebody done off the shelf deep compositing, or is my only option still internal to Houdini with cops? I would like to use mantra to nuke.

maybe there is something in this lesson that can help.

DT- 10 ways to work faster in NUKE

In these NUKE tutorials, we’ll learn ten tips and tricks to work faster in NUKE, from proxies to expressions to python to render commands. Some of these tips will be obvious, like using proxies and the region of interest to speed up viewer performance. Others will be a bit more complex like building an expensive node disable-enable expression control system tied into our write nodes using Python commands. We'll also learn how most 3D applications create EXR files and ways we can increase performance by re-rendering them out of NUKE in its' preferred format. Finally we'll look at a cheap way to improve our motion blur from NUKE's 3D system using a combination of samples and vector blurs.

Yeah I read that after posting this as well :)

I think cortex is just a lib tho that includes rat reading and dtex writing so you need to write a small app if you only wanna convert your files that read and writes.

This is just guesses as I havent actually tried it myself.

• 6 months later...

Thanks guys, I hope it can be useful for you. Windows might be a problem for me though. No Windows, no compiler, no experience, no time to get any on them now, but I'm sure we could find a good soul with those first tree at least.

Yes, eetu, I couldn't wait longer myself, so I made first move.

• Like 1

Windows might be a problem for me though.

I took a quick look, and that might be problematic.

Nuke plugins want to be compiled with vc8 (vs2005) and Houdini plugins with vc9 (vs2008).

Dunno if there's a way around that.

I took a quick look, and that might be problematic.

Nuke plugins want to be compiled with vc8 (vs2005) and Houdini plugins with vc9 (vs2008).

Dunno if there's a way around that.

Hmm, that means we (you?) could try to compile against H11. It might cause an issue with available licenses, but at least it could work for someone on Windows.

Hmm, that means we (you?) could try to compile against H11. It might cause an issue with available licenses, but at least it could work for someone on Windows.

Ah, not a bad idea, that.

With some blind poking I got it to build with H12, but in Nuke the ratReader.dll raises a

Runtime Error!
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

which sounds like it could be a msvcrt80.dll vs msvcrt90.dll thing.

Hmm, that means we (you?) could try to compile against H11.

You were right, of course. 11.1.264 seems to be the last win64 vc8 build available on the download page, and it works with that.

rat->getWorldtoNDC() and rat->getCameraToNDC() seem to be missing from 11.1 so I just commented them out. Also, the 11.1 libUT.dll, libPXL.dll and libIMG.dll have to be on $PATH.

So, for the adventurous soul, here's a win64 build.

rat->getWorldtoNDC() and rat->getCameraToNDC() seem to be missing from 11.1 so I just commented them out. Also, the 11.1 libUT.dll, libPXL.dll and libIMG.dll have to be on $PATH.

Thanks eetu!

I adjusted the code for H11. Thanks for a hint!

skk.

Hi SYmek,

I compiled it with no error messages, but when I try to open the .rat file in Nuke I got the error message below:

Read error: libHoudiniUT.so: cannot open shared object file:No such file or directory

Nuke6.3v2

Houdini 12.0.581/Houdini 12.0.634

I compiled it with no error messages, but when I try to open the .rat file in Nuke I got the error message below:

Read error: libHoudiniUT.so: cannot open shared object file:No such file or directory

Did you run the houdini_setup script in houdini install dir?

Hi SYmek,

• Append to or export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH with Houdini's dso libraries:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HFS/dsolib

Edited by SYmek

Did you run the houdini_setup script in houdini install dir?

Hi eetu, yes I ran the houdini_setup script already and Houdini environment is initialized.

Append to or export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH with Houdini's dso libraries

HI SYmek, I already set this variable but don't know where I did wrong

Thanks anyway.