Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

With houdini fx you can make tools that have dynamics and pops in them for use in houdini, but these tool are kind of useless if you can not press the resimulate button because it is locked. This needs to be fixed or they shouldn't have this feature in houdini, useing daily build 12.5.398 and have used 12.5.316.22, windows 64 sadly.

opparm -c dopnet1 resimulate;

:(

what do you mean? cannot you promote resimulate button to your tools as Solver SOP has so it is available for houdini(escape) users?

what do you mean? cannot you promote resimulate button to your tools as Solver SOP has so it is available for houdini(escape) users?

Technically I did not do a promotion of parameter so the link next to the default channel is not connection, so that could be a slight culprit, but often most buttons are based on call back scripts for versatility. A sop solver is a special case scenario, try just including a dopnet from sop level or object in an asset and you will reach the same problem. The buttons are locked and the cache can get stuck, possibly a windows issues alone, but willing to be money it's a bug/rfe don't have access to submit any presently. nor a linux box to test on.

...try just including a dopnet from sop level or object in an asset and you will reach the same problem. The buttons are locked and the cache can get stuck,....

I tried including the same dopnet or any other dopnet in a new asset, promoted the buttons I want users to use (like Resimulate), everything works in Escape

I don't really understand the root of your problems, in my opinion everything works as it's designed

and if you promote button that calls python script, it will still execute that script and do what it meant to do (except for changing non-promoted parameters inside of locked asset on non-editable nodes or other thinks that violate permissions, but that's not specific to escape)

something like this?

http://www.sidefx.co..._ports__560.gif

For rigging this sort of thing would get very messy... maybe just show a dependency curve between nodes,then double-click on it to show the vops in a subnet, with inputs and outputs hosting the available parameters of the connected nodes.

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

On second thought though a separate context would really be the way to go as Tomas suggested. Didn't think about connections that span across contexts, which of course happen all the time ;)

I would also much prefer a VOP like representation over the way CHOPs deals with channels.

I could imagine CHOPs as pre- and postprocessor for this new context as it can operate on channels across the whole animation range and can calculate integrals and slope etc.

Edited by dennis.weil

Guest mantragora

Yes, this is what I had in mind.

On second thought though a separate context would really be the way to go as Tomas suggested. Didn't think about connections that span across contexts, which of course happen all the time ;)

I would also much prefer a VOP like representation over the way CHOPs deals with channels.

I could imagine CHOPs as pre- and postprocessor for this new context as it can operate on channels across the whole animation range and can calculate integrals and slope etc.

Cinema4D have something like this. It's called Expresso. VOPS + Expressions together.

I tried including the same dopnet or any other dopnet in a new asset, promoted the buttons I want users to use (like Resimulate), everything works in Escape

I don't really understand the root of your problems, in my opinion everything works as it's designed

and if you promote button that calls python script, it will still execute that script and do what it meant to do (except for changing non-promoted parameters inside of locked asset on non-editable nodes or other thinks that violate permissions, but that's not specific to escape)

I am triggering the resimulate buttons of dopnets using an hscript callback with, opparm -c path/to/dopnet execute; this will not work on a dopnet as the dopnet is locked. Did some homework and this seems to be true through the versions of 12s I have acces to on windows. This would be an rfe for the opparm -c command to override this locking functionality, esp for the resimulate button.

I will try a relative reference link, instead of an hscript opparm callback, next time the fx license frees up. I do not often use the the From Nodes promotion in the Create Parameters menu as in Operator type properties, especialy on buttons. If your not paying attention you can often get multiple button presses when you do setups containing more than one simulation task, like a wire solver, with a post sim addition. Rebar followed by breaking stone attached to it as an old example. If a relative reference works, it means i need to build complex actions internal to non accessible nodes, then have to relative reference down to those nodes. That make sense?

Don't have houdini on phone to send an example file. Can I make that as a wish ;)

A couple minor things that I think have either been mentioned already in this post or submitted elsewhere:

1) The Ramp Parameter - Can this look more like the motion view curves when in spline mode? The motion view curves are some of the nicest in any package I've used, shame we can't have that in the Ramp Parameter!

2) Shaders - Instead of more presets, revamp the Mantra Surface Shader to include all the controls found in other renderer's materials (map control for specular/reflection angle for example). Also the ability to select from a set of procedurals from any map slot. Perhaps a map browser, that pulls up all the different stuff we have access to in VEX/VOPs (all the patterns, noise) that would populate the area under the map with that patterns parameters (multiparms maybe with basic compositing operations to get layered effects quickly).

3) The Move tool - Needs to have planar constraint just like the rotate and scale have. Takes twice the clicks to move something in 1 plane.

3) The Move tool - Needs to have planar constraint just like the rotate and scale have. Takes twice the clicks to move something in 1 plane.

Try Ctrl-Clicking on one of the three X Y Z axes to get the planar constraint handle. Does that do what you want?

Try Ctrl-Clicking on one of the three X Y Z axes to get the planar constraint handle. Does that do what you want?

Yes! But this should be there by default and become more/less visible based on the relation to the camera no? Still take two clicks to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

When using the volume SOP, it would be nice if Houdini checked the volume resolution vs memory available, instead of just crashing the machine if the volume is too big. That's a very common issue when using large scale scenes.

• Like 3

It would be great to have something like Object VOP DOP, where each dyn. object is entity and i can access various data (transfroms as matrices, fields as volumes - "Sample from volume" etc.., geometry data as "Import attribute" where you fill in data path, type of geo - points, prims etc and attribute) through parameter vop (or similair) and alter and create/delete data on objects(it could be solver - like script solver dop but with nodes).

Because all these

explodematrixp(invert(dopfields(".", $OBJID, "Geometry", "Transform", 0, "transform")) * optransform(chsop("../objpath")), vector3($px, $py, $pz), "SRT", "XYZ", "TX")

are quite annoying and slow.

• Like 1

It would be great to have something like Object VOP DOP, where each dyn. object is entity and i can access various data (transfroms as matrices, fields as volumes - "Sample from volume" etc.., geometry data as "Import attribute" where you fill in data path, type of geo - points, prims etc and attribute) through parameter vop (or similair) and alter and create/delete data on objects(it could be solver - like script solver dop but with nodes).

Because all these

explodematrixp(invert(dopfields(".", $OBJID, "Geometry", "Transform", 0, "transform")) * optransform(chsop("../objpath")), vector3($px, $py, $pz), "SRT", "XYZ", "TX")

are quite annoying and slow.

Have you tried using a sop level dopnet then a corresponding vop sop? I am not a fan of all the auto scripts building dops at the object level, it make for cumbersome setups/otl by adding extra levels of networks.

I think the oglRop needs some love, it should behave the same as the flipbook tool from the viewport, for example background image, motionblur, Cameramask and MaskOverlay, it would be very handy to just run some different sims and playblasting them, right after they are finished.

Agreed, not only that, we should be be able to hook those OpenGL ROPs in the flipbook menu, we should be able to customise these as animators will rely on it all the time.

I must confess the OpenGL tools seems really buggy in our setup, just simple constant shader with a texture and alpha that displays well in the viewport does not in the OpenGL node rendering the whole thing pointless.

My main issue with Houdini is that the new wave of users like me, that has had an interest for years and now are transitioning from our other packages (XSI my case) to Houdini feel that so many things are missing or even worse, expected from the user to put together.

I guess a different mindset is the issue, I expect the material system to work out of the box with the most basic tools (constant shader with a texture containing its alpha channel?) and camera with FOV indication? per camera rotoscope? OpenGL ROP working? add tools to certain menus (flip book)? hierarchical match transformations at a press of 1 button, COPs being half abandoned with some horrible bugs (shifting a sequence of images to get he COP output into the background plate anyone?)

Sure we all have grown used to dealing with it, customize it, hack it and what not but I simply think there are many things Sidefx needs to do if they are want to see the current tide of artists to stick with Houdini.

Then there are other higher level tools I would love to see like Animation Layers, Parameter overrides on the render node, Advanced camera model (camera shader anyone?) etc...

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying is bad, there are amazing things that make it worth another effort but I am saying it should work out of the box to a certain level, as it stands the most basic operations are still too convoluted and it is not fun.

Edited by jordibares
  • Like 2

My main issue with Houdini is that the new wave of users like me, that has had an interest for years and now are transitioning from our other packages (XSI my case) to Houdini feel that so many things are missing or even worse, expected from the user to put together.

I guess a different mindset is the issue, I expect the material system to work out of the box with the most basic tools (constant shader with a texture containing its alpha channel?) and camera with FOV indication? per camera rotoscope? OpenGL ROP working? add tools to certain menus (flip book)? hierarchical match transformations at a press of 1 button, COPs being half abandoned with some horrible bugs (shifting a sequence of images to get he COP output into the background plate anyone?)

Sure we all have grown used to dealing with it, customize it, hack it and what not but I simply think there are many things Sidefx needs to do if they are want to see the current tide of artists to stick with Houdini.

Then there are other higher level tools I would love to see like Animation Layers, Parameter overrides on the render node, Advanced camera model (camera shader anyone?) etc...

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying is bad, there are amazing things that make it worth another effort but I am saying it should work out of the box to a certain level, as it stands the most basic operations are still too convoluted and it is not fun.

Amen... The main problem requires an outside eye such as your self that is not involved as deeply, but not a novice to the technique, such as your skillset in XSI, at SideFX, which conflicts with the core group that makes SideFX unique.

While knowing the workarounds, to most of the above. It would be preferable to just have these be straightup presets, and not do it yourself everything.

• Like 1

Agreed, not only that, we should be be able to hook those OpenGL ROPs in the flipbook menu, we should be able to customise these as animators will rely on it all the time.

I must confess the OpenGL tools seems really buggy in our setup, just simple constant shader with a texture and alpha that displays well in the viewport does not in the OpenGL node rendering the whole thing pointless.

the lates build (12.5.435) seems to address some of the issues, like showing up in viewport menu, texures are fixed now and some more settings.

still background and camera mask would be great. there is a ogl draw parameter on the camera that let you write in the viewport, but it is way to rudimentary, most of the time the text is cropped as it is not positioned well. I also think that it is not drawn with the oglrop.

yet another thing, a default exr compression set to scanline would be great, too. the first render on a new build is always terrible slow in nuke, until I get the preset :)

Edited by sanostol

• 3 weeks later...

More control with image placement in the network view, like, diferent images for the network and each subnet / node. Controls for scaling images like in the background of the viewport.

It´s a simple thing, as far as I know, and very useful for things like rigs. One can place the object image in the network view and the control nodes in the corresponding part of the image.

Edited by gui

More control with image placement in the network view, like, diferent images for the network and each subnet / node. Controls for scaling images like in the background of the viewport.

It´s a simple thing, as far as I know, and very useful for things like rigs. One can place the object image in the network view and the control nodes in the corresponding part of the image.

I've actually filed a RFE for that some time ago. Hopefully there will be some impovements in H13. It would improve the network view sooo much not only for rigging but also for laying out your lighting of the scene etc. Much easier for another artist to pick up your scene and see where everything is.

I would also like transform handles for background images in the scene view as it's a pain to adjust with the paramteres in the display options.

-dennis