Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

How about something like Intels tbb flowgraph for parallel graph evaluation for houdini networks? Task-based parallelism in general seems to be very suitable for houdini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MVkbaIeq8

Just watched that video, are you talking about under the hood with better multi-threading design? or at the network pane level?

Just watched that video, are you talking about under the hood with better multi-threading design? or at the network pane level?

As I am neither an expert on parallel programming nor have I worked extensively with the hdk I am not sure what the best way to approach this would be. In case of under the hood changes implementing every node and every expression as a flowgraph node would give somekind of automatic parallelisation of houdini networks. Even if other nodes ( for example the particlefuildsurface-node ) were themself using parallelism ( spawning tasks ) this would not result in oversubscribtion as long as everything is based on tasks. That is the task-scheduler would handel the final assigment of the task to actual threads and a work-stealing algorithm would ensure that the load is balanced among all cores. My guess is that it would not scale well because of all the dependencies in a regular houdini network. But maybe we should be given the possibility to use common parallel patterns inside of houdini. The Fork-Join or Map pattern would be a star.

Edited by 0rr

Just fix the freaking OpenGL viewport for 13.

I'm going nuts with it.

Can you please elaborate about the bug/problems with the viewport?

A bug has just been filed about sticking viewports and I'm interested in other problems with the viewport.

Please see this thread.

Thanks.

Edited by tar

Different people, different places, different bugs. It's very hard to nail down exactly what is wrong with the viewport, wrap it up and file a meaningful bug. I guess a lot of artists just shrug their shoulders, grumble and find a ridiculous workaround.

At the moment I have a lot of performance problems where the viewport can't handle more than a few thousand polys. Everything grinds to a halt. Restarting Houdini helps but is not a good solution. Switching from opengl versions also helps but just for a short while. It's almost as if 'something' fills up the graphics card and then doesn't let go.

In any case, viewport issues are the single most frustrating problem in H right now. Again and again I come across people cursing Houdini's viewport. Something isn't working, somewhere deep down burried in code and drivers. Whatever it is, I hope H13 will be better.

Can you please elaborate about the bug/problems with the viewport?

A bug has just been filed about sticking viewports and I'm interested in other problems with the viewport.

Please see this thread.

http://forums.odforc...ot-supposed-to/

Thanks.

Edited by Macha
  • Like 2

Different people, different places, different bugs. It's very hard to nail down exactly what is wrong with the viewport, wrap it up and file a meaningful bug. I guess a lot of artists just shrug their shoulders, grumble and find a ridiculous workaround.

At the moment I have a lot of performance problems where the viewport can't handle more than a few thousand polys. Everything grinds to a halt. Restarting Houdini helps but is not a good solution. Switching from opengl versions also helps but just for a short while. It's almost as if 'something' fills up the graphics card and then doesn't let go.

In any case, viewport issues are the single most frustrating problem in H right now. Again and again I come across people cursing Houdini's viewport. Something isn't working, somewhere deep down burried in code and drivers. Whatever it is, I hope H13 will be better.

Cool, thanks. I'm quite keen to tease out these bugs - it went very well for the sticky viewport- in only 3 days we had reproducible steps and the bug was submitted. If you start a new thread we can run through the sceanories and I'm quite sure can reproduce it. Others can then also contribute.

Cheers

motion blur enhancements

rotational motion blur for instances

control over the blend of the motion blur (falloffs)

more accurate motion blur on particles, more like the deformation blur, but using the id

flying sparks look default more like tangents (not that nice)

Martin

motion blur enhancements

rotational motion blur for instances

control over the blend of the motion blur (falloffs)

more accurate motion blur on particles, more like the deformation blur, but using the id

flying sparks look default more like tangents (not that nice)

Martin

For rotational motion blur with particles, do you have continuous motion on sub frames, like $FF? with geometry velocity blur checked on? timeblend with ids is good for this.

Albeit it would be cool somehow if in the viewport for a new attribute display type somewhat like a vector with and additional time control to show curves from sub-samples of a frame as opposed to just a vector from the current frame to visualize this better. This would have to require some additional option in the viewport display options, and some type of warning because it would require additional cooking for those subframes. Doing it by hand with a trail sop would be the nearest equivalent. The helicopter blade test would be a good example of this, if you could visualize with curved vectors in the viewport as opposed to straight lines of that frame instance.

I have instances on particles, particle count is changing and geometry motion blur just uses v to blur, so there is no curved motionblur

rotational motionblur on particles also does not work, or do You know an attribute for rotational velocity?

For rotational motion blur with particles, do you have continuous motion on sub frames, like $FF? with geometry velocity blur checked on? timeblend with ids is good for this.

Albeit it would be cool somehow if in the viewport for a new attribute display type somewhat like a vector with and additional time control to show curves from sub-samples of a frame as opposed to just a vector from the current frame to visualize this better. This would have to require some additional option in the viewport display options, and some type of warning because it would require additional cooking for those subframes. Doing it by hand with a trail sop would be the nearest equivalent. The helicopter blade test would be a good example of this, if you could visualize with curved vectors in the viewport as opposed to straight lines of that frame instance.

EDIT: Fast Instancing broke it, with full pointinstancing everything works as expected

Edited by sanostol

I have instances on particles, particle count is changing and geometry motion blur just uses v to blur, so there is no curved motionblur

rotational motionblur on particles also does not work, or do You know an attribute for rotational velocity?

If you do a separate thread with an example. I believe there's an answer for that, but depends on the test case what is throwing you the curve....

Unfortunately it should be more straight forward. The motion blur settings for mantra should def get a secondary outside look at simplifying them. Esp in the rop. The geometry velocity blur check boxes on the geometry should be done away with in favor of rop control it's more user friendly. Maybe more demo example files like the helicopter rotor blade example with the st elmo's fire like effect int he help docs. http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/07/30/206946740/mysterious-dancing-lights-in-afghanistan

Write directly to vrmesh and ass files(plus reading realflow .bins, they're plugins SUCK!!!). We can write to ribs and other formats, it be cool if these render engines got native handling, too. Exporting abc are nice, but since they don't use velocity motion blur a lot of sub samples become an issue, plus .abc are not multiple files but one file that can have write and load issues normally associated with massive files.

Not asking for full vray and arnold support in rops yet, but writing out to the equivalent delayed load so we don't have to use maya, xsi, etc. as an intermediate platform, and the lighter on staff can use what ever package they specialize in.

Edited by LaidlawFX

Some multi-threading good notes (including from Jeff Lait re: Houdini) from SIGGRAPH: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/12632-random-link-of-interest/#entry110748

As I am neither an expert on parallel programming nor have I worked extensively with the hdk I am not sure what the best way to approach this would be. In case of under the hood changes implementing every node and every expression as a flowgraph node would give somekind of automatic parallelisation of houdini networks. Even if other nodes ( for example the particlefuildsurface-node ) were themself using parallelism ( spawning tasks ) this would not result in oversubscribtion as long as everything is based on tasks. That is the task-scheduler would handel the final assigment of the task to actual threads and a work-stealing algorithm would ensure that the load is balanced among all cores. My guess is that it would not scale well because of all the dependencies in a regular houdini network. But maybe we should be given the possibility to use common parallel patterns inside of houdini. The Fork-Join or Map pattern would be a star.

Are they slower then houdini volumes or is it just that we tend to use lower div size with vdbs?

Definitely much slower, I'm not sure if it applies to all scenarios but I'll post some tests soon.

I noticed this recently I was rendering a pyro sim which a cached to disk as vdb's - when I tried to render this some buckets that were completely black were still taking forever to render. Converting back to houdini volumes sped up the render 5-10 times.

EDIT: Attached a file where the issue is prominent

VDB_vs_Houdini_Volume_Render_Speed.hip

Edited by jkunz07