Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

This thread is fun. I'll add, from reasonable to ridiculous:

1. Discrete inputs on merge nodes;

2. Huge thumbs up for the "Out of the box I want to have a IBL studio light option;"

3. MotionBulder-esque capabilities, e.g. direct Kinect 2 support for skeleton, motion tracking, rig binding and volume point clouds ala Brekel, etc.;

4. Move away from the contexts, SOPs, COPs, POPs, etc as extraneous and confusing;

5. Give us a flat world ala Nuke, or at least an option, so we can stop the tedious "diving" or "jumping" in and down all day long (and object merging and...) a million times a session - embrace the infinite node tree.

cheers, kevin

• Like 1

4. Move away from the contexts, SOPs, COPs, POPs, etc as extraneous and confusing;

5. Give us a flat world ala Nuke, or at least an option, so we can stop the tedious "diving" or "jumping" in and down all day long (and object merging and...) a million times a session - embrace the infinite node tree.

+1000. Amen

Edited by Sifis

Is that possible? How would you differentiate say Add SOP, CHOP, COP, VOP, etc? Will they change their UI based on what's wired in? I haven't used nuke, so not sure how it all works :)

For the shear craziness of the idea. It would require removing the network contexts of each set of nodes so you would have access to ~1500 nodes via the tab menu so the network pane's only option would be a new hybrid, and the flow of nodes and data may/may not have to all be organized in a downward flow(dops and vop/sop being biggest culprits). Not all nodes would work together as they do now in one context like sops VDB and polygons nodes don't all work together for instance. But you would be able to pull a dynamics and chop nodes in the singular context, especially important your lights and rops would be on one level. I would say you probably don't want to blow away all levels like including subnets. But maybe the key to this is that from within sops you already have access to everything with the managers there, and nodes such as chop sop and dop sop.

I actually think in the shear craziness it would work. After trying to teach people about Houdini and the different managers/contexts it would actually make a lot of sense. Trim down on the extra panes and context, it does feel a little bloated in hindsight.

• Like 2

Is that possible? How would you differentiate say Add SOP, CHOP, COP, VOP, etc? Will they change their UI based on what's wired in? I haven't used nuke, so not sure how it all works :)

Nuke splits 3d/2d nodes with a a different icon shape, square for 2d, rounded for 3. It simply wont allow you to connect a 2d node to a 3d node. As the node tree gets bigger, its good practice to add 'background' nodes to define groups of nodes aka like the dop/sop anyways ;)

Edit: Pops could be gone in H13? The particle selection tool is gone in the screencast of Unity/Houdini and there are some pop/Dops used in the Whitewater solver

Pops in Dop discussion

http://www.sidefx.co...t=dop particles

Unity/Houdini

http://www.sidefx.co...2555&Itemid=387

post-8321-0-09905700-1378782267.png

Edited by tar

Thanks guys, interesting concept. But still some of it I need to wrap my head around. For example I don't know how you could merge VOPs and other contexts when VOPs work per element, like points, primitives, voxels, but in SOPs you work on the whole geometry in most cases. I feel the logic is very different in these parts.

Also for this to work would Houdini not have to function between contexts perfectly? Because as of now, you aren't able to perfectly go between different contexts using the other network nodes in other contexts. One level is not bad but when you do stuff like:

COP -> SOP -> DOP -> COP, I see that it breaks down. So it doesn't do this as I was once told before I started learning Houdini :)

oldschool also mentioned this unification before so he would know a lot about this.

Edited by magneto

do you have a link?

Yes :)

"We still haven't got to the "heterogeneous"network bit (just too much too soon at the time) although Greg at Derivative has implemented heterogeneous networks with Touch Designer where you can pace different node types in the same network and wire sensible things together. Hopefully one day..."

Someone needs to make a consolidated version of this along with the one on the SESI forum. So many good ones are buried within the pages :)

i wd suggest a trio : + the good H12's-wishlist-thread opened by the same forum member .

.cheers

• Like 1

i wd suggest a trio : + the good H12's-wishlist-thread opened by the same forum member .

.cheers

Don't trust that guy...

but honestly if you have bug fixes/rfe use the sidefx official submitter, it will guarantee it gets qued into their database. Their general link is below, on their main website page. If your company has help support, use it! They are extremely prompt on bugs, plus it'll have more weight. This is a non-official wishlist/rant/whatever you want to call it. For instance, the viewport has soo many variables of graphics cards, os, and ogl it'll never get fixed. They only have a small team up there, so if you can do five seconds of leg work for them then you will be rewarded with an update. I'm still waiting for my vray comparable shaders I can drop and go, with no setup time....

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=768&Itemid=239

im satisfied with SESI support in my few occasions i needed it .

This is a non-official wishlist/rant/whatever you want to call it.

i like its name and content . im posting in 28th page of an one-year-old-thread .. thank you by the way !

threads like this ( at least for me personally ) help me understand many things i wdnt have guessed and known .

sometimes this helps me understand that there was not a need to post my wish because it already is in HOU , but i was deficient enough in finding it ,

other times this helps me to be aware of whats more important community-wise .. so be aware of real priorities ,

and other times this helps me understand that H11 is less powerful but safer ,

etcetera ,

.. things im not sure i can get in a " ticket-system " .

.cheers

Thought of another one: a quick way to write the current layout to the L key. When you hit the L key in the network view now, Houdini arranges the layout of nodes according to some mysterious default. I want to update the default layout to the one I'm constantly adjusting as I work, rearranging, tidying up, etc while sorting out some problem.

Thought of another one: a quick way to write the current layout to the L key. When you hit the L key in the network view now, Houdini arranges the layout of nodes according to some mysterious default. I want to update the default layout to the one I'm constantly adjusting as I work, rearranging, tidying up, etc while sorting out some problem.

... I wish i was better a python, but you can do this in python with external app. I've seen it. Fuck if I know how to do it off the top of my head.... I wanted to do this for shading networks.... hmm let me see if i can dig up where it's from....

albeit I would like better defaults for complex stuff, maybe like regional organization, and linear vertical for sops, and horizontal for vops. With parameter in vops doing more of a web branching then stacking vertically....

• 2 weeks later...

31 Days until Houdini 13...

a whole new feature set will find out in the next few weeks. FEM Solvers, Tessendorf Oceans mixed with flip particles, Dop based particles, Off the shelf deep compositing workflow, and more to be revealed... some really d$#! cool s%$^, can't wait for the fem/particle stuff myself. Time to close this one out.

The ability to fuse and snap points not only on average point position or highest/lowest point number, but also based on a weight attribute.

So a point with 90% weight will only be displaced slightly while a 50% weight is displaced far more.

Like tug of war, the strongest contender is moved the least.

Attributes on the fused points could be blended in the same way.

The node could also include options for MIN, MAX, MODE, besides BLEND.

So if 2 curves are fused with say 2 different colors values, using BLEND it will blend the fused points colors in a weighted way.

If set to MAX or MIN however, the color from the curve with the with the highest or lowest weight could be kept.

Edited by hyperforce