H12: Linux vs SpaceBar

Hello everybody.

I have a problem with H:12 with navigating in viewport by holding SpaceBar. It has a delay about 1 sec before navigation starts. Had anybody ever got this trouble?

In addition I can say that multiple press Spacebar results in multiple delays.

/sry for English/

Edited by ioscat

Graphics: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at ec000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)

I/O ports at af00

[virtual] Expansion ROM at e8000000 [disabled]

Capabilities: <access denied>

Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Kernel modules: nvidia, nouveau

/I'm completely new in Linux so I can't figure out which string is needed/

H:12.0.595

/Same trouble in 11.1.118/

Hello everybody.

I have a problem with H:12 with navigating in viewport by holding SpaceBar. It has a delay about 1 sec before navigation starts. Had anybody ever got this trouble?

In addition I can say that multiple press Spacebar results in multiple delays.

/sry for English/

hi ,

you didnt mentioned ' how big the geometry is ' .

my workstation had a similar behaviour with some ' heavy ' geometry recently .. ( quadro 2000 )

i considered that ' normal ' .

It seems not to depend on heaviness of geometry at all. Delay/Lag takes place even without any geometry in new window.

We suppose Linux tries to perform something when SpaceBar is pressed, but our search didn't give any solution.

I had the same problem with fedora 16. I don't think its the graphics card alone, because I didn't have any lag at all if I didn't use spacebar to navigate the viewport (escape key over the viewport to get to the camera nav tool then it worked fine for me).

I couldn't solve the problem and switched to Sabayon which works really good for me.

I would really be interested why fedora behaves that way.

• 3 months later...

Is this related to the issue where when you press space over the viewport, Houdini doesn't trigger navigation? It still thinks the parameters pane is in focus for instance. So pressing W over the viewport, actually opens up the Object Tree List inside the parameters pane :(

This is on windows though.

Sorry for my bad English. Fedora 17, graphics card NVidia Quadro FX580, driver version NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-302.17. Navigation in the viewport is normal, no problems at all, except for the fact that the SpaceBar works with some delay (and if a few times quickly to press, have to wait some time). A trifle, but a unpleasant. I'm new in Linux, and I want to know whether there is a similar problem with other users Fedora or I need to blame my lack of experience))

Edited by rus_n07

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using Fedora 17 with the KDE Desktop and I dont't have the navigation lag. Everything works as it should as long as you can live with KDE. If I switch to gnome the lag problem occurs again both in a clean install or if I have both desktops installed in parallel.

I suspect that it is some strange config in the x server, but currently I am not able to tell more. I reported this as a bug quite a some time back and it was acknowledged as one. But until now there is no solution for this.

I'll keep digging and let you know what I find.

It seems crazy but I have solved this problem on Frdora 16 by INTALLING Compiz. Yes, I didn't need it and Metacity was fine for me. Yes I've tried to configure Gnome, Metacity many times to solve this Space lag. But only Compiz has helped.

Interesting that there were no such a lag on the same machine on CentOS 6 which is similar to Fedora.