Read me!

Marc

uh... I hope so? It's a new version of the forum, so I would assume that things like that would remain. Although having said that, there is going to be a bit of shuffling around in the forums. ie. posts from some deprecated forums will be moved into other forums, so it's possible that some might break?

Will all the posts from the old forum stay in an accessible archive?

Years of golden houdini knowledge all in one archive.

yea. I asked for that too .

even if in ReadOnly mode , wd be nice . I believe we all have few or more topics memorized , so that wd help .

esp if thing are going to shuffle ..

.cheers

All the posts will still be there. We won't be losing any data at all (unless something goes horribly wrong, of course). Some of the topics will just be in new forums. Looking at the current url structure, I don't even think that will make a difference. There's no indication of 'category' in the uri, so I think we'll be good.

In laymans terms: All your bookmarks will most likely still work.

M

So your recommendation is to just go for it? ;)

There's two approaches here:

1. Have a beta website and people use and give feedback. Incorporate feedback and then bring it out of beta.

2. Release website now. Incorporate feedback on the fly.

IMHO, is that you should bring it out of beta as soon as it's "good enough". Then quickly fix any problems that people find now that they're actually using it for real.

option 1 is designed for someone who has a day job and a family at home who runs a website on the side and can only do stuff when time permits.

option 2 is designed for someone who perhaps has a day job, possibly one that includes the website in question and has all the time in the world to make quick fixes.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide which one I am ;).

Having said that though the feedback has been generally positive, so I'll come up with a timeframe soon for the upgrade and I'll let you know what it is. It's possible that the site will be down for a few days during the upgrade.

M

{quote from another thread}

The forums will be taken down this afternoon and work on the upgrade will begin. It is unknown how long the upgrade will take, so get your posts in this morning ;).

M

keep safe the backup-ed version and Good Luck !

we'll keep praying on our side ..

=)