Corona Render

rohandalvi

Hello Gui,

For volumes here is what I found from what I have tested.

When using PBR it seemed that Min/Max Ray Samples, Noise Level, do not change anything.

What you want to use is:

Sphere Lights: they are the quickest, around 10% faster than Point lights for the same visual result.

Volume Quality: do not go smaller than the div size of your volume.

Shadow Quality: you can have it at 0.5

Transparent Samples: it gets rid of a fair amount of the dots (salt & pepper) if you bring it from 1 to 2. Above 2 it gets costly for not a big change in my case.

Pixel Samples: This is where it will start to get quite costly. I tested with 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. 4x4 seemed to be a good compromise.

Also, for motion factor I didn't see any change switching the value from 0 to 1, but maybe I didn't have enough motion in my render as it seems to be triggered when the object is traveling more than 16 pixels within the frame.

I hope this helps.

Also I see that Jeff is using the "Ray-Level" image plane to see the amount of rays that have hit the surface, this is really cool I had no idea about that.

I found that there was a "Volume Ray-Level" expecting it to work in the same way the "Ray-level" one but I wasn't able to have it working.

Is anyone using it? And how do you use it please?

Thank you

Xavier

Edited by cobrax
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

it depends on the render engine you choose.

If you are comparing a brute force path tracer to irradiance cache then Vray and modo will always be faster, but they take longer to setup to get rid of the splotches. But, I think any path tracer will be slow in interior rendering.  In corona always use Path tracing and HD cache when rendering interior. 

Take a look at the images I have attached it will give you a really good idea of the difference between pure path tracing and combining it with something like light cache in Vray or HD Cache in corona.

However the interesting thing in the images is that vray brute force is a lot noiser than corona path tracing with same number of gi bounces in a 5 min render.

I also recently rendered some particle and fur tests with corona on my machine  - i7 920  roughly 4-5 mins per frame at 720p only path tracing. They are a little noisy but it's a good example of what corona can be capable of once it properly supports particles and fur. 

regards

Rohan

post-1625-0-31072900-1394953868_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-69747800-1394953877_thumb.jp

Edited by rohandalvi

hi,

it depends on the render engine you choose.

If you are comparing a brute force path tracer to irradiance cache then Vray and modo will always be faster, but they take longer to setup to get rid of the splotches. But, I think any path tracer will be slow in interior rendering.  In corona always use Path tracing and HD cache when rendering interior. 

Take a look at the images I have attached it will give you a really good idea of the difference between pure path tracing and combining it with something like light cache in Vray or HD Cache in corona.

However the interesting thing in the images is that vray brute force is a lot noiser than corona path tracing with same number of gi bounces in a 5 min render.

I also recently rendered some particle and fur tests with corona on my machine  - i7 920  roughly 4-5 mins per frame at 720p only path tracing. They are a little noisy but it's a good example of what corona can be capable of once it properly supports particles and fur. 

regards

Rohan

as user --> it does matter. what technics are used. important is speed, quality and easy setup..... even if it written blitzbasic.... there so many pathtracer outside there most of them in alpha or beta. most a lack of important feature. so far furryball is only one, which can be called "production" ready. look each student writes he own tracer engine. lets see which ones turns out as "useful".

so far i like furryball, octane and blender's cycles. cycles is less realistic but really nice look. waiting for sombody make houdini integration for cycles.... :D

Edited by schwungsau