99 members have voted

1. 1. The Houdini OpenGL Viewport is?

• Excellent and flawless
    • Flawless but lacks features
    • Just about OK
    • Buggy and annoying
    • Terrible

• 4 weeks later...

I think Houdini will run best on Linux with a higher grade quadro card. I would be curious to hear someone reply here with those stats. Windows 8, I've heard is very buggy and OSX is lagging behind with their OpenGL implementations.

My guess is the guys developing the software are fans of Linux. :)

I work with a workstation that has a quadro 6000 under Linux 12.04 and Xfce, the viewport has many many bugs, and when I switch to Win 7 x64, is even worst.

I've had the best of luck with OpenGL on windows 7 64bit / 8 64 bit when I'm working at home. Centos 6.2 is what I use at work and I run into a lot of issues. My guess is that something is off with the linux release of nvidia drivers. Both work and home systems are running a quadro 4000 but the driver versions differ.

The current state of the viewport is also very frustrating/unreliable for getting wireframes for meshes. It'd be really nice if there was a way to render out wireframes in mantra.

For example, it might be incredibly difficult to get an image like this out of Houdini:

130528_KeyShot41.jpg

Edited by jkunz07