gas explosion

nquire

• 2 months later...

I have been working on this for 3 weeks and have some pretty solid break through's. I'm definitely looking forward to contributing to this.

One of the major ones to break up smooth bubble effects cause by high divergence is to use the laplacian of a the normalized heat field as a control field for turbulence. This allows you to put turbulence on the boarder of the heat. Dive into that turbulence node and multiply the out vector of the noise by a clamped dot product. Basically eliminating the downward values into the turbulence. Will post an example file soon as I can.

Another one that is super handy. Advecting an additional field and dissapting it off quickly and using it for a control field in some violent turbulence. 

Diffusion and dissipation are key.

Diving into a Gas vortex boost and adding a noise field to the radius of the blur nodes.This provided an interesting non uniform break up. I think its a heavy hit to ram though.

I'm trying to edit a turbulence node to have a noise turbulence driving the size of my frequency so I can have a non uniform turbulence size throughout my fields. I hate seeing turbulence patterns. Drives me nuts.

2 substeps min. Its a pretty big hit, but it improves the quality of my sim's immensely

For a explosive blast I use particle emission. I was think about some of the things mentioned in this post earlier today. I'm going to try using a high velocity particle emitter with this slow burn technique. I'm also considering boosting up the combustion otl to drive various parameters with fields. Ignition temperature could be controled by a custom field, as well as smoke emission. So. Many. Possibilities. Freaking endless.

Speaking of particle emission, I came across a handy tip that puts meta balls on them, uses a gas field vop meta vop node to look it up. Super clever, havnt tried it yet though. But it seems like it would be quite a bit faster for particle emission.

Houdini is absolutely amazing the control it gives you.I really wish I could share my current work! Old school, I always appreciate your thorough and informative posts. I'm really interested in the advected particles to transfer attributes over into various fields. So much potential here. 

Much Simulate. Very Fire.

EDIT:

Here is an example of the bubble field I'm working on. I had a sop solver version that had way more features but stumbled across a bug where the field would return a solid 1 in every voxel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3403330/BubbleField%20Example.mp4

Edited by Aliencorpse
  • Like 3