post-9983-0-25340700-1372633976_thumb.pn

I am simulating a lot of particles. Why is Houdini not using all threads to the full extent. Is this normal, is this as much multi-threading as I can get out of houdini. I have 4 real threads and its not even using one of them fully (which would be 25%).

Just wondering.

A lot of the POP nodes ain't multi-threaded so without using a different approach you won't be getting more usage.

try to rebuild all pop nodes with vopPops they are multihreaded, there are still some nodes that You can't really avoid by that way, but it speeds up things

EDIT: in 12.5 many vexfunctions where improved and have better threading. for example the intersect, primattrib and xyzdistance are very fast now. it might be a bit more work at the beginning

Edited by sanostol
  • Like 1

try to rebuild all pop nodes with vopPops they are multihreaded,

thanks, I just started houdini and am not sure what you really mean but I will keep an eye out for it

post-9983-0-23843200-1372716882_thumb.pn

How do I purge the ram in houdini. I was doing some Rigid body sims and let it play over and over again always trying out new stuff but my ram is kinda getting full? How do i purge ram without restarting?

thanks

On the DOP network node there's a "reset simulation" button, plus other controls for caching.