Fun with VEX

Here is part of a scene a friend and I are building. Hopefully I'll be able to post the whole thing up soon enough:)

As you can see, the shader kinda freaks when you feed it polygons, but it still has a very fun look. Now as soon as Mario "applies himself", we could get some better flow with the cross-hatching. Hahahaaa...

post-27-1087351181.jpg

Have you tried using a very high Shading Quality setting ?! Something like 5 gave me usually good rendering results, with default mantra settings I often got similar rendering problems as you Jason. The Shader needs some own "anti-aliasing" in the code. "Brute-Force" method to get nice renderings results so far is adding the "render polygone as subd" tag on your objects (and add creases for hard edges obviously).

Now if we could only make this work with uv's on geometry instead of st only...

This shouldn't be too hard. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Btw. I modified Hwee Kok's NPR file and rebuilt similar networks and got tons of intresting NPR looks, gonna post my tests some time soon.

Jens

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried using a very high Shading Quality setting ?! Something like 5 gave me usually good rendering results, with default mantra settings I often got similar rendering problems as you Jason. The Shader needs some own "anti-aliasing" in the code. "Brute-Force" method to get nice renderings results so far is adding the "render polygone as subd" tag on your objects (and add creases for hard edges obviously).

I did try this after you mentioned this, actually - yeah it makes a big difference indeed.

We finally rendered the final piece using the typical lambert-materials-under-an-abmient-occlusion-atmosphere, because it looked good and the shader broke down a bit on polys We also did a Wren pass, and that looked brilliant! Wren is sooo damn good, and handled instancing pretty well. It was just a joke "I, Robot" trailer that Piotr Karwas here took a day to animate and I took a day to do particles and render it.

I'm pretty sure that we'd be allowed to post it since none of the resources has anything to do with I,Robot at all;) I'll get Piotr to output the trailer in .avi form.

Man, you should've seen the animation teams' joke (internal) trailer done in the last week of pure compositing when the animators' task were done. It was based on Kill Bill and they called it called Kill Will. Brilliant work! All in 5 days, incredible... unfortunately they trailer will never be able to leave the virtual walls of DD because it uses that actual pipeline and models, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Good link collection on NPR stuff :) I believe I have most of the links seperatetly in my "CG bookmarks folder", but nice to have it all in one place. In ~2 weeks I hope to find some time for the NPR stuff again and I'll have a go with the painterly rendering stuff presented here:

http://www.incognitek.com/painterly/downlo...ads/meier96.pdf

I want to try if it's possible to achieve a somewhat similar look with particle sprites in houdini. Most tools required for this seem available in houdini really:

1) Placing partilces in houdini on an object is easy

2) Coloring/Sizing the particles at creation time based on their position isn't that hard either

3) Surfaceflow should be rather easy just as well

If we use the inital particles as emitters again, we should get the brush trail effect & with motion blur we might get this "brush fadeout effect". Particle count will be likely pretty high and rendering pretty slow, but it's worth a try.

Jens