Sign in to follow this  
henrik.g

"Metamorphosis" -

Hey everyone!

This was my termproject in the 2013/2014 winter term at FH Mainz.

It was my first big project using Houdini. And I am the only one here at my school using it.

Our school is under the firm grip of Maxons Cinema 4D! :D

I showed it to a lot of people here... but you know.. people who know you are always kind.

So I thought to seek some critique and feedback here!

Please be honest and straightforward about everything you dislike!

Thanks so much in advance!

Greetings!

Henrik

Incidentally, I just saw this on vimeo earlier in the evening. Very cool!

Initially, I found the 80s-style harsh shadows look a bit jarring but I love the concept by the end of the video! I think others will probably say that soft shadows is just a way to cater to the masses. :)

Guest tar

Great stuff - I would also try a version where the camera is rolling at the start - maybe 1.5 turns until you are at the main island.  Might be able to roll it in AfterEffects.

Hey, thanks for the replies guys!

Hard Shadows were a trade-off I had made to increasing render performance. Lighting over all isn't as nice as I wanted it to be... 

Hey, thanks for the replies guys!

Hard Shadows were a trade-off I had made to increasing render performance. Lighting over all isn't as nice as I wanted it to be... 

Yeah like you said, the lighting could use some improvements. Nice work anyways, lovely to see something not so much in the realistic FX spectrum.

Maybe even some screen space ambient occlusion might be enough and cheap if you render a depth pass along with the images.

Second thought: This type of film can probably just use an OpenGL ROP with high quality settings on a GL3-capable video card.

Hey.

What do you mean by "Screen Space Ambient Occlusion?" Especially "Screen Space"?

I had a seperate Ambient Occlusion pass using an "Occlusion"-Node and exporting it using an Parameter. ?