Sign in to follow this  
diparun

How to get the Noise stuck to an object?

Hi guys,

I'm copying spheres to a popnet, and have a BillowySmoke Material applied. In render, the particles seem to be swimming through a noise pattern, but, in fact, I would want the noise stuck to each of the particles. I tried adding a restPos to AANoise, with object space. Still no success.. Also, tried other spaces like camera, world - still no effect.

Also, when I turn ON Do Noise of BillowySmoke, I get the same texture-swimming issue ( i.e Noise appears to be projected on top of my particles, when I need each particle to be textured by the noise ). Is there a way to get the texture attached to each particle/object?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 'cos I'm literally pulling out my hair as we speak :)..

Thanks,

Arun

Guest tar

can you upload your project file. Thanks!

Hi.. got a sample file ready.. Has a bunch of spheres copied onto a popnet ( can ignore vdbFromPolygons, 'cos this seems to be a particle issue). Plus Two frames of TestRenders to visually understand the issue... An animated sphere(not included in scene) renders with a proper noise position, but particles swim through the same noise..

~Arun

testSmoke_Noise.hip

post-6720-0-36695900-1395081160_thumb.jp

post-6720-0-70209300-1395081167_thumb.jp

Guest tar

I had a quick look and not sure the effect do you want to achieve? smoke from a chimney or balls of smokey stuff etc

Thanks!

Edit: Here's a version - just use a fluid source on your sphere.

testSmoke_NoiseEdit.hip

Edited by tar

hi.. thanks a million.. it works for the particles copied onto popnet.. is there a way with billowySmoke (noise ON) applied to particles to give a similar output?

~Arun

Guest tar

BillowySmoke noise has never really worked for me. You might be able to tweak it though to work. Not sure.

Hi Arun, 

Did you ever sort this out? I have applied a stone material to geometry and get the same "swimming material" effect as the geo moves. I have a rest position in SOPs and have tried world, object and texture space in the VOP network for the stone material with no luck. Wondering if you figured out how to stick the material so it doesn't swim around?

Thanks, Kevin