Delta Mush

edward

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like someone at Naughty Dog has used delta mush to generate shapes for an example based skinning solution: http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/semi-auto-skinning-framework/

Wondering if the same couldn't be done in Houdini, blendpose CHOP (not shelf tool) gives us two methods for matrix decomposition.

I've used a skinning by example solution in the past and it was a huge time saver and massively increased the quality of linear blend skinning. It would be nice to have it in Houdini.

Edited by AaronAb

• 10 months later...

Thank you for reminding me. I checked, it really can not rotate. Then I checked the algorithm, it was no problem. The problem was in the edit node. If you rotate a geo who was edited by an edit node it will be break. I think use bones rig or other way to deform it will no problem. Maybe I misunderstand you.

i realize this is a bit old, but i was looking for a quick delta mush and found this setup.  there's a problem with this setup, tho.  the basis matrix from the rest position shouldn't be used to project your displacement back on your deformed shape, you should pull a new reference frame from the deformed geometry and use that.