Houdini VTM(video training magazine) yes or no?

didn't someone mention that in the next issue of 3D World there would be a copy of Houdini Apprentice and a video tutorial (head modeling?) by the 3d buzz people...?

ooops....seems I was wrong, I just went to the 3dworld site and the video is a Maya tutorial.... :(

anyway, to respond to your question...

I think video training is the way to go these days...the videos made by Side Effects and others (mostly Gnomon) are really excellent...I've always learned more from 'someone' than from just text. Having someone talk through the steps as they do them is very helpful, you can pause, go back...whatever.

Hey Renderman,

Nice to see you here! I didn't think anyone read my comments at 3d Buzz :P

I also noticed your question on the SideFX board but figured I'd answer here.

I'm very much a beginner to cg and quite often get overwhelmed with how much there is to know but keep plugging away just the same.

Yeah, I use Wings, mostly because it's free and it's very capable as a dedicated polygonal modeler. I was using Maya PLE and XSI Experience but PLE stopped performing for me after a few months and I encountered nothing but problems with it. Experience is just too crippled being save disabled so Houdini Apprentice is just awesome. Side FX has done something quite amazing with Apprentice. How sweet it is to be able to learn Houdini in such an unrestricted way.

I just love how everything is laid out. For me, it's become my favorite user interface. And it's so quick when you make changes! I think when you go through the tutorials, you'll get the same feelings I got and say wow this is really sweet! Like I said, I'm new to it and obviously have an enormous amout to learn. I just like getting in there and playing with everything. :)

Like Alex said on the other board, don't expect it to behave like Maya or XSI. At first I was like why the heck am I adding a cube, then deleting a cube and then adding another cube.. hehe you'll understand what I'm talking about when you get Apprentice. It does make sense though and you'll begin to appreciate the way Houdini does things. The tutorials that come with it are very good and get you up to speed very quickly. Good luck with it. :)

arctor, yes there will be a video on polygonal head modeling in Houdini next month. It's very good as it will give people insight to Houdini's polygonal toolset and explores proceduralism with one example of workflow for constructing a head. Plus, Apprentice should come bundled on the disc as well.

hey, draz

we have 26,000 members at 3dbuzz.com so you know at least 1 or more people were reading that thread. But i think, most people there feel that Houdini is not for a beginner, which i cant agree to at all.

I just found out, i could drive down to Santa Monica to pick up a copy of the demo,,,too late:S 3 weeks feels like eternal wait.

hey, but i got a question for you, whats the difference between Houdini Master, Select and Halo? I assume it has the same relationship in terms of number of tools as Maya Unlimited, Maya Complete and Builder?

But from what is sounds like, Houdini looks to be better than any other software i have used in the past.

I was interested in making a demo of the YF-19 and YF-21 fighting, maybe i would use Houdini over Maya.

jyamata

hi,

this is from 3D World :

"And on the CD, we'll be treating you a world exclusive: the first ever demo of pmG's stunning character animation suite, messiah:animate 3.0. Not to mention the demos of plasma, Discreet's great new Web 3D application, and an exclusive 75-minute Maya tutorial video from Jason Busby of 3D Buzz."

so you're talking about next month?...issue 30?

if so...cool :)

renderman_xsi:

check out this for the differences in the product line...

product link

Hey, maybe everyone can spam SideFX with e-mail requesting a Houdini VTM. haha. j/k

I know there are some differences. But a bigger issue is in some of the tutorail from sideFX site, it says to delete the ground and sky. umm..what ground and sky? Im in Houdini Master!there is no ground and sky.

:) I think i could really use a Houdini VTM,otherwise, this demo is going to be put to sleep for awhile.

Well, if SideFX decides to sponsors 3DBUZZ, they would be paying for the VTM, mainly most of the money would be allocated to Houdini VTM and whats left is use to pay for other VTM, thats a fair assumption.

Its too bad i cant get a copy of that 3Dworld Magazine, with the Houdini Tutorail by Jason. As always it should contain some great stuff,since Jason is the teacher.

Actually, it's kinda crazy... Jason Busby (aka Buzz, owner of 3d Buzz.com) has paid for everything out of his own pocket. I mean Discreet, Softimage and Alias Wavefront haven't sponored him but yet he's already managed to put out issues for each one of them. Softimage was gracious enough to give him XSI 2.0 advanced so that he could provide training for them. I believe that Newtek and Maxon donated software as well but he hasn't released any discs for Lightwave or Cinema as of yet. He will continue to send out discs for as long as he is able (doesn't run out of money) in hopes that some of the bigger companies will take notice and help to support him.

Renderosity ran a spotlight on him April 8th - 14th and he was also featured on tech tv's site of the nite a few months back.

Anyways, I think what he's doing is pretty awesome for anyone wanting to learn cg. Sure, it would be great if he could do issues on Houdini but even if he doesn't, I'm sure that great tutorials will become available for it in the near future produced by others.

Renderman, I don't think we should be spamming Side FX regarding this issue. I know you were kidding but they are well aware of the situation as it was talked about at Siggraph. My guess is that some training material is in development atm on their part, perhaps along the lines of A|W's Learning Tools? Who knows... would be cool though.

Well, if SideFX decides to sponsors 3DBUZZ, they would be paying for the VTM, mainly most of the money would be allocated to Houdini VTM and whats left is use to pay for other VTM, thats a fair assumption.

Its too bad i cant get a copy of that 3Dworld Magazine, with the Houdini Tutorail by Jason. As always it should contain some great stuff,since Jason is the teacher.

Jason? Jason Iverson, from D2 and these forums? If so; that's pretty cool! Another good reason to buy the next issue.

A question to Jason. Do you know Erik Nash? (I bet you do). He was interviewed for "The Time Machine" article in 3DWorld issuue 26 (June 2002). Too bad you weren't asked anything :(

Erik, yip - the VFX Supervisor on Time Machine worked pretty closely with all of us. He's actaully a D2 VFX Supervisor - not external. Actually I didn't do a tutorial for 3DWorld - perhaps it's different Jason - someone mentioned a tut done by another Jason on Softimage. Perhaps I should kill him so that I don't get further confused? ;)

Later!

J

"I know there are some differences. But a bigger issue is in some of the tutorail from sideFX site, it says to delete the ground and sky. umm..what ground and sky? Im in Houdini Master!there is no ground and sky."

fyi - Houdini use to have, and should still have, default lights, camera and geo objects containing the houdini logo. as an aside, the pdf's at www.sidefx.com are outdated...fear not though, they are being updated as i type this :D ...rule of thumb while working in the PDF's until fixed...if you cant find it, chances are it was integrated into another tool, omitted altogether, or given a different name.

i was able to pickup 3D world in the US (assuming thats where you live ;)) also, if you live near santa monica, CA., you can stop by sidefx and get a copy of apprentice, free.

mike C.

• 4 weeks later...

Houdini VTM being produce on a monthly bases is ALMOST a reality, check it out at :

www.3dbuzz.com goto the louge, click on the thread "Online Course with BUZZ - FREE"

Enjoy! and see you all in class!

I believe in the future you will be seeing more interaction from sideFx with its users...Robert McGee was at A|W for a long time and contributed to the creation of numerous tutorials and ideas for advancing their user base (art of maya) . now he is with SESI!

I agree. I have both the Art of Maya and Learning Maya. They are great books. Thing is, I find myself never wanting to use Maya anymore :) Something I've found useful though is to take the tutorials and concepts in those books and try to apply them to Houdini.

I'd certainly purchase anything put out there for Houdini and if something is in the works it'll be great news for everyone.