Thanks Brian!

Altering the differential growth a bit to get some seabed/rock shapes. I will then grow coral on top of this. Really happy with some of the shapes - I'm going to introduce a bit of smoothing later towards the end of the growth because some of the rocks are too noisy at the top. more updates soon!

Edited by kgmcnamara
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Refining the growth algorithm a bit to get the shapes and scale I'm looking for. Starting to play with some very early work in progress shading. Everything you see here is procedural / mathematical - the rock formations, pebbles, shaders, etc. No textures or hand modeling.

The white box is roughly the size of a human for scale reference.

rockGrowth_01.jpg

Edited by kgmcnamara
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also working on some audio driven animation for a music video. We'll need some creatures swimming around!

All animation here is procedurally driven by audio and mathematics using Houdini's channel operators. Additionally, all geometry is procedurally modeled (jelly dome is a mix of noises, oral arms were modeled using differential mesh growth, tentacles are noise-driven)

The audio is from our band, yesper. Find the full song here:

Edited by kgmcnamara
  • Like 4

niiiiice!

great corals, very interesting method, and that jelly fish anim is real good too.

I'd only say that the "fixed" overall shape of the jelly dome could maybe have some motion too ? Feels a little stiff at the top. Dunno for sure, I didn't check any real life ref.

Congrat Kevin, very curious of what's to follow :)

8 hours ago, 6ril said:

I'd only say that the "fixed" overall shape of the jelly dome could maybe have some motion too ? Feels a little stiff at the top. Dunno for sure, I didn't check any real life ref.

Yes, great feedback! I agree the top is too stiff. I'll see if I can get some motion up there 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...