OctaneRender for Houdini development preview

juanjgon

The Octane spare parameters functions for the OBJ nodes are ready. With this parameters you can configure for example the object visibility or layer options, the Octane OpenSUBD feature or the light emission parameters for the object. 

With the light emission parameters you can use any object in the scene as light source. From simple shapes like spheres, planes or cubes, to any other object available in the scene. You can also use the Octane emission nodes to configure any material as emitter, but the spare parameters at OBJ level are easier to configure to make light sources.

post-12128-0-76614000-1422643115_thumb.j

Yep. IMO it is the freelancers/CG boutiques who would need a GPU renderer the most. These are nowhere near the production renderers (PRman, Mantra, Arnold) in terms of versaility, shading writing and obviously quanitity of RAM usage - GPU renderers are fast but can render small amounts of geometry which is exactly the type of projects freelancers usually work with.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep. IMO it is the freelancers/CG boutiques who would need a GPU renderer the most. These are nowhere near the production renderers (PRman, Mantra, Arnold) in terms of versaility, shading writing and obviously quanitity of RAM usage - GPU renderers are fast but can render small amounts of geometry which is exactly the type of projects freelancers usually work with.

This is a good point actually. I would love to give octane a go for personal projects, but if it means I have to buy a houdini license just to be able to play at home it's probably a step too far.

I would however happily buy indie + octane, since at the moment I can live with only apprentice at home ;)

I want to make possible that the Octane plugin can work in the Indie version. This is one of goals of the project.

Hi Juanjo, I really hope you succeed..

I guess it will depend if they clasify it as a renderer or not based on the fact that runs on the GPU.

Out of curiosity, is this the first serious GPU renderer for Houdini?

Are you going to talk to SESI about this, Juanjo?

I was talking about this with SESI and I should say that finally the Octane plugin is not going to work in the Indie version. Sorry.

The Indie version is not going to support the Octane ROP node, and anyway the Indie license doesn't allow third party renderers.

So finally, the Octane plugin, at least currently, is going to work only with the commercial standard Houdini and HoudiniFX licenses.

-Juanjo

I feared so. SESI is pretty adamant about third party renderers on Indie licenses, which I only understand to a point. They should simply forbid network rendering with them, which would keep studios away from using Indie on their projects and still allow freelancers to use it.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been covered, but does Octane for Houdini render Deep passes?  Then we can use it for specific elements and comp them with Mantra passes.

Thanks!

In Octane you have the render passes (diffuse, specular, reflection, refraction, SSS, Z, position, motion vectors, IDs, AO, etc,), the render layers (to render sets of objects with all their passes in discrete files), and the light passes (to group the light emitters in passes for scene relighting in post). 

I think that with all this information, work with compositing tools should be easy.

-Juanjo

They should simply forbid network rendering with them, which would keep studios away from using Indie on their projects and still allow freelancers to use it.

Ah, no. As a freelancer & Indie user, this would kill me right from the get-go. Network rendering on several workstations is what allows me to work quick and stay successful. 

The OctaneRender for Houdini plugin is about to be moved to closed beta testing and we are looking for a small group of people to be part of this early testing and provide valuable input into bug finding, fixing and feature testing.

If you own (and are familiar with) Houdini for 64-bit Windows and are an experienced, licensed, octane user familiar with octane's features and are interested in getting in on the ground floor to beta test this plugin please post your interest here or send us an email to support@octanerender.com

-Juanjo

• 2 weeks later...

I have formerly sent a request to the support but I figured I would post as well. Our studio would love to be part of the beta release, we use octane extensively in our maya pipeline and would love to see how it translates into our houdini pipeline.

-N