Houdini 14 Sneak Peek

robert.magee

On top of all the things said that look great....it appears i can throwaway Blender for grooming hair. (Hope it will allow isolation of strands so you don't groom everything at once ala Zbrush fibermess )

Exciting. 

Edited by abvfx
  • Like 1

Awesome features! 

- Anyone knows, does node parameters are actually QWidgets under the hood?

- If Houdini now uses Qt, does it mean that we can get some access to it from HDK? For example will we be able to add custom QWidgets to hdk operators?

Edited by Stalkerx777
  • Like 1

finally rigging and anim tools!. hell yeah

I'm two months in learning, and I find the current rigging tools in Houdini awesome. Deformations can slow down quickly and I hope this will be another area where SideFX will put some effort into.

You can have brilliant rigging and animation tools, but if the software chockes on avarage res meshes, then you have a problem.

Selection and snapping workflow is somethng I look forward to. Hope there will be a better softselection tweak tool.

Yet another cloth-solver... :blink:

Not really, PBD can be used to simulate a number of different effects, including cloth. I don't think it's meant as a replacement for the cloth solver though.

looking great. 

thew new PBD soft bodies are a replacement for FEM?

FEM fits another category that you can't recreate in PBD (at least not as easily as you would with FEM, I presume).

Think of PBD as a different method for simulating particles, or particles with links (constrains). FEM deals with volumetric primitives (tets) so you can better approximate real solid materials, volume preservation, internal forces like twisting, strain, etc.

FEM can be applied to solve cloth with the advantage that's easier to set different material properties to FEM cloth and approximate real fabric or what not. The same is not true for PBD, although you can create some interersting cloth-like effects.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mantragora

Can anyone share more info about h14? Thank you

I will tell you in a secret that Quad Chamfer will not be one of the tools introduced in it. Yeah, I know, it sucks. But it's life. Suck it up!

;)

Edited by mantragora