Houdini 15 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Guest mantragora

Maybe someone should make "Houdini 16 Wishlist", since we know that 15 is coming already, so any new wishes will not get there anymore. 

;)

• Like 1

Maybe someone should make "Houdini 16 Wishlist", since we know that 15 is coming already, so any new wishes will not get there anymore. 

;)

i hope when there is a new website there will be a open RFE System to discuss features like in the programmers world (java, python...) where there is a proposal for new functions. like that it will take more time but on the end it will be a solid RFE.

i hope when there is a new website there will be a open RFE System to discuss features like in the programmers world (java, python...) where there is a proposal for new functions. like that it will take more time but on the end it will be a solid RFE.

there is nothing stoping you from starting a thread in the right section and putting something like "My Subject - RFE Proposal" as the subject.

and if the Admins feel it's getting some attention we could make it a sticky.

and please don't forget to send RFE's to SESI - they DO get read and discussed.

there is nothing stoping you from starting a thread in the right section and putting something like "My Subject - RFE Proposal" as the subject.

and if the Admins feel it's getting some attention we could make it a sticky.

and please don't forget to send RFE's to SESI - they DO get read and discussed.

i think i have made last year a RFE for that must look but what i did also is mention it at the forum post for the new sesi website: https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=38532

EDIT: I haven't made a RFE shame on me i have thought i made one... i will do one.....

Edited by Mandrake0

;)

I personally wait until they announce it, you never know when they are going to do a sub version or a major. It slightly more respectful, lol. For all we know it could be 14.1 or 14.5, wouldn't that be silly.

They always have stuff to announce at Siggraph, and when they launch a major version it is very indeterminate. It could be the launch of a new Houdini Engine feature, or something like orbolt, etc. They haven't done yearly releases ever like Autodesk. The numbers just happened to line up this year.

And def submit RFE and BUGS directly to SideFX through their web page, or the help support at your company. They log them all, and will sort through their priorities pretty well. They do dailies builds after all, and if you look through them you might notice when your issue gets fixed, if they don't ping your company back directly.

The correlation between the wishlist and changes are more a casual correlation, of mutual people wanting the same things, than a direct factor.   

Edited by LaidlawFX

i wish the bug/rfe tracking was better for individuals.  i've submitted things from a few different companies and i'd be interested to continue the followup on them.

lol, I think I may have submitted the same bug from a couple different studios.

It does get a bit annoying, especially when you contract, and some studios don't understand the concept, or think it's not a contractors job like some sacred relic.

or some studios don't bother with getting stuff set up for that kind of support.  plus, i think it'd be better to have a consistent "face" to the support team.  not sure how that'd work exactly, but maybe have some kind of ability to link accts in some way.  so you could submit as an employee of a studio, but those tickets would also be visible to your individual acct.

it'd be great to have wrangle nodes convert ui parms to vex parms instead of relying on the "ch()" vex function.

so if i create a parm on my ui called "erode" then i'd be able to use "erode" as a vex variable.  it would decide the type based on the ui parm.

the only trick is deciding how to tell the wrangle whether it's an exported parm or not.

1) a more modern approach for transmission in mantra would be nice.

having a clean GGX for both reflection and transmission would be great.

having a clean call function ggx() like all the other bsdf instead of cvex_bsdf() would be nice.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~srm/publications/egsr07-btdf.pdf

Phong / Cone is kinda old in 2015 ...

2) I find that having by default a clean motion vector AOV that works perfectly for

- Nuke

- Fusion

- RSMB

Would also be a nice addition even if it's not that hard to do ...

3) add in Mplay a small multilight UI component that allow to modify and play directly with Per-Light AOV.

It would allow to relight your image in M-Play post computation. A sort of Mantra Multilight

4) Modify the physicall sss node to make it outpout a BSDF instead of a Color in order to unify all the shading models in Mantra.

and thus let us avoid the hack of using a diffuse BSDF to fake sss contribution.

Edited by sebkaine

Good point edward but you still have to load each AOV create your cop tree, for each new shot.

Having something very simple and straighforward would be easier.

- you activate multilight

- you can tweak all your light directly in the multilight panel

- you can send your multilight parameter to the light of your scene.

Basically you have a render with

- 1 env

- 2 area

- 3 point

each light has a certain intensity.

you activate the multilight so after your render you can see what your scene would look like by tweaking those intensities.

you can if you are satisfy with a setup done in the multilight send the intensity value to all the light and thus make it the default setup.

in mplay tho?  i think it'd have to be more tightly integrated into the main app.  what you could do maybe would be to put together some python code to generate a custom rop and cop network based on your lights.  not sure if vanilla cops can iterate over aov's to generate the required connections back and forth.

maybe you're right Miles, Mplay is maybe not the best place ...  what about a new menu or option in the data tree

as the idea of multilight is pretty close to the > Light Bank. where you can tweak your light intensity ?

so a new > multilight menu where you can play post computation with your light would be pretty elegant ?

the idea of generating a COP + Load all the AOV is kinda heavy imo something light / simple / intuitive would be better.

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Can we get a solid Esc key responds for stop cooking everything and take me right away to before stage?

I think I read somewhere about why it can't be done but one can hope.

More opengl and  viewport smoothness.I am on houdini 14 and i still get those mouse pointer turning into some other pointer.can't replicate the problem yet.

Edited by altbighead

being able to see time-dependence from the network view without having to middle-click would be nice.  perhaps a wire draw-style or some kind of node icon.  it'd be a handy way to help keep nodes chains optimized.

being able to see time-dependence from the network view without having to middle-click would be nice.  perhaps a wire draw-style or some kind of node icon.  it'd be a handy way to help keep nodes chains optimized.

Already there:

Network Editor Display Option -> Dependency Tab -> Show Time Dependencies

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/ref/windows/network_display_opts

• 2 weeks later...