MacOS Houdini? Vote now!

Jason

Would you like to see Houdini on MacOS?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Houdini on MacOS?

• Yes!
    • Doesn't really matter to me...
    • Nah, forget it.

I voted yes...but the one concern I have is that too much time will be spent on porting(and bug fixes) for the mac instead of features and fixes for the platforms that we all use everyday...

I'm not a big fan of Apple - but they seem to have a good thing going with the G5's

It all depends on how they go about the work.

If they put some time in the testing of the port, there will be a few things they have to do special like for the mac. the biggest difficulties I've seen with the linux port was mplay/audio support, which should be easier on the Mac, and then videocard driver support, which really isn't a Sesi thing at all.

I'd buy a MAC and run Houdini in a heart beat if it was there.

-k

The biggest temptation is to buy a PowerBook and sit on my couch with Houdini up..

I think the most time would be taken up trying to make all the buttons in Houdini have rounded edges so that you can't cut yourself, as with the rest of the Apple applications.

Do you think different people visit the forum vs the main page?

to tell you the truth, i can't remember the last time i've been to the main page.. always go straight to the forums.. :)

as for the mac port, i have no interest for it just because of my feelings for the OS.. i've been working in motion graphics for a while now and trying to get in to the visfx industry as soon as i can get the money and to an area for work..but pretty much motion graphics is overrun by macs and is what i am forced to use on an everyday basis.. So I understand the OS pretty well and have been using it for i don't even know how long, but I still don't understand many of their reasonings for doing certain things as it just drives me up a wall as a user..

so yea, just not interested in it.. keep working on the features and product itself imho...

The biggest temptation is to buy a PowerBook and sit on my couch with Houdini up..

That's my one big reason for wanting an OSX port. I want to get a laptop, but the only ones I really like are powerbooks.

EDIT: I am going to go on record saying that the day SESI releases Houdini for OSX I will buy both a Powerbook and one Escape License; so, they have at least one guaranteed customer.

EDIT: I am going to go on record saying that the day SESI releases Houdini for OSX I will buy both a Powerbook and one Escape License; so, they have at least one guaranteed customer.

13585[/snapback]

Yeah! Go Mcronin!

I'm in the same situation as you are.. I want one of those PowerBooks really badly. There has *got* to be a large number of potential Houdini customers out there who work on OSX all day..

I'm with arctor on this one -- I like my G4 laptop just fine, but I wouldn't want SESI to lose any part of their workforce to porting and maintaining an OSX version. And if they do wind up porting Houdini to OSX, who's going to use it? Sure, there will be a small smattering of people like us using it at home, but would production companies be buying tons of Macs to use as 3D workstations?

I'm with arctor on this one -- I like my G4 laptop just fine, but I wouldn't want SESI to lose any part of their workforce to porting and maintaining an OSX version.  And if they do wind up porting Houdini to OSX, who's going to use it?  Sure, there will be a small smattering of people like us using it at home, but would production companies be buying tons of Macs to use as 3D workstations?

13587[/snapback]

Ok, further I will demand both a Mac and Houdini for OSX as well at work. Infact, as of now I'm on strike.

STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Give us Houdini OSX or we'll kick you in the dumper! (sorry I don't have my "Jay-Z Rhyming Dictionary" right now)

Come on guys, strike with me!

...guys?

I don't work at a big studio, so I don't know if this is a valid scenario.

But are there a lot of Mac CPUs which lie dormant overnight? Do paint artists prefer Macs? Would there be a lot of cycles just waiting for heavy processes like a renderer? Might this be impetus for SESI to port to the Mac?

Personally, I'm happy with Linux, so I don't care one way or the other. My laptop runs Linux just fine.

get back to work YOU!.

Remember you all are within easy throwing distance from me. (as in I will throw something heavy at you) [excel arctor mcronin]

I think the biggest challenge would be the sys admins....sometimes I think they like linux because much like irix before they have the power... it is that entire greySkull thing.

-k

STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Give us Houdini OSX or we'll kick you in the dumper! (sorry I don't have my "Jay-Z Rhyming Dictionary" right now)

Come on guys, strike with me!

...guys?

13588[/snapback]

I hate to say it, but maybe there is more [potential] money in OS/X than IRIX and Solaris?

I know that DD has a few Macs lying about but I heard a rumour that we had a few G5's for render-farm testing. Not that I'd personally like to cope with another quirky variant on a tcshell or anything, but anything has to be better than Windows. :bag:

Personally, I don't care on this one. I personally detest working on Macs and only do so when I need too. They don't really like me either. Even the G5's at school lock up on me fairly often, though I have been told by some that it has to do with how they were set up. However, there are definite issues crossing platform sometimes. I sent a flash file that I was working on with a fellow student yesterday and she could not get it to open up in flash on her Mac laptop. And yes we were both working with the same version of flash. Also, we compaired maya renders of the same file on a G5, Windows 2k, and Linux. The G5 came in dead last. Windows was on top when rendered directly from maya, however, linux out preformed when both were run from scripts. You do the math. However as with all things, it is up to the user what platform they prefer. *sigh* I am so ready for school to start up next week. I am sick of using apprentice and those pesky watermarks. Ready to get back to the real thing. Well, that's my two bits.

Grav

The biggest temptation is to buy a PowerBook and sit on my couch with Houdini up.....

13578[/snapback]

agreed...i'd love to get me an apple laptop, that'd be pretty groovy...although its strange, i use a mac all day at work...and a pc at home, but at home don't think i could have 'just' a mac :huh: i'd always need a pc to hand :P but i'm fine with just a pc, so upgrades would be kinda expensive eh? :lol:

anyway, if i were totally honest, i'm not too concerned over a mac version of houdini, don't get me wrong...using it when i had a spare sec at work and when i have my half hour break [*note to self* you are entitled to take a 30min break :music: ] would definately be great, but if it deferred sidefx attention away from focussing fully on serving the studios [by which i mean through their continued software updates for 'pc'] then i think it would be best left alone...

I think the most time would be taken up trying to make all the buttons in Houdini have rounded edges so that you can't cut yourself, as with the rest of the Apple applications.

13578[/snapback]

lol!

:lol::D

thats fantastic!

and so true!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like Apple. Look what happened with Shake, Chalice, Rayz etc. Aside that, their operating system is horrible, despite the fact it was roughly "lended" from FreeBSD.

One thing is for sure, i386/ia64-based hardware is a lot more affordable and thus available.

I dont know what it would be good for to have Houdini on a mac . What i care most about is that i can work interactive with my applications and when i see that in Cinebench my midrange Windows box gets above 2000 points for OpenGL performance and a Dual g5 2ghz mac only gets 1100-1200 points i dont think that i want to work on a mac even if the os is 3 times better then windows .

Sven