Jason

Houdini -> V-Ray

Guest tar

For those with Vray experience; where does it sit in the scheme of renders?  where would you pick it over say Mantra or Octane.

Thanks!

or to complete the question...where would you pick it over Arnold which seems to be "killing" VRay in many studios

or to complete the question...where would you pick it over Arnold which seems to be "killing" VRay in many studios

Isn't Vray used a lot in architectural rendering? And i know Houdini is being used more in that area.

3rd party development is always good news, but as you say they would have to do a lot to shift Mantra users let alone Arnold. It will be interesting to see how it develops. 

It's DDs primary renderer for all things not FX, after yielding a much better experience than Arnold.

This would be amazing news for us guys who have plenty of 3ds max + Vray experience and want to make the move over to Houdini. Nothing against Mantra at all I've been finding it great to use as I've been learning, but being able to jump right in with a familiar renderer would make the learning curve a little more gentle.

It's DDs primary renderer for all things not FX, after yielding a much better experience than Arnold.

You probably know about this more than I do, Jason, but what I´ve heard is that the main reason for DD to implement V-ray had more to do with a technology and development exchange with Chaos Group (having their devs sometimes directly working at DD) than any other factor.

This would be very good news for quite a few shops. So happy to see this now.

There are quite a few 3DS Max houses that wish for more seamless sharing of plates in comp with Houdini in VRay back-end pipelines. 

They've recently been looking for Fluid FX artists back in Bulgaria. It got me wondering why'd they need full time Houdini artist but that clears it up I guess :P

Easy come, easy go eh?

Competition is always healthy for users. I would still choose Mantra but I wouldn't want vray to wither and die, or Arnold or Octane for that matter.

Competition is always healthy for users. I would still choose Mantra but I wouldn't want vray to wither and die, or Arnold or Octane for that matter.

Im mostly intrested because it would be an easy way at the moment to get a lot of people out of maya and into houdini instead.

Personally I prefer mantra as well.

• Like 1

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I really really want this. For exactly the reasons Erik listed. 

Mantra FTW though.

There's a lot of VRay bugfixes popping up in the Houdini journals (the changelog) nowadays, so no question it's under heavy development. :)

Edited by Farmfield