Marc

Hair revisited

Does it give any error messages when you try and render? Or does it just render black?

M

Does it give any error messages when you try and render? Or does it just render black?

M

15903[/snapback]

No, there is no error message, it renders 300 black images (mantra_1, 640x480) !:)

enclosed you will find another version of the hairball.

maybe this works for you.

15912[/snapback]

Perfect, thanks !!!! :)

I will post some results of my latest version (v1.2)...

Arno

arno_hair_far_field_v1_2.zip

enclosed you will find another version of the hairball.

maybe this works for you.

15912[/snapback]

Perfect, thanks !!!! :)

I will post some results of my latest version (version 1.2)...

Arno

This is the latest version.... (v1.4)....

Cheers,

Arno

This is the latest version.... (v1.4)....

Cheers,

Arno

16803[/snapback]

Did you by any chance mean to attach a file? ;)

Did you by any chance mean to attach a file? ;)

16813[/snapback]

:D

Yes....

[edit]

Please reload the attachment, since there was still a bug due to the limited numerical precision of VEX.... :(

Hope this is the final release !!!

[edit]

arno_hair_far_field_v1_4.zip

Hello Folks I am trying to wrtie a RSL shader using the formular proposed by Marschner et al. 2003 at SIGGRAPH. But I am having trouble understanding some of the concept in it . Iam more of a programmer than a mathmetician(my math background isnt that good at all). I am wondering if anyone could simply the formular for me, and post it here. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Folks I am trying to wrtie a RSL shader using the formular proposed by Marschner et al. 2003 at SIGGRAPH. But I am having trouble understanding some of the concept in it . Iam more of a programmer than a mathmetician(my math background isnt that good at all). I am wondering if anyone could simply the formular for me, and post it here. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

17788[/snapback]

Hi,

I

Hello Arno,

Thanks for the quick respond. I wanted to write a renderman sl shader for Maya. I am having some problems implementing the concept. Maybe you could give me some hint on where I should start. The calculation of R, TT, and TRT seems quite hard for me to understand, the formular in the paper

throws me off at some point. Is there a way you could explain to me how the R, TT, TRT is calculated? Sorry if my questions sound dumb. I want to write my shader using sl and use it with maya. Unfortunately, my math isnt that good either but I really want to be able to understand the whole concept and be able to produce the shader.

Thanks!

Gregory

Just wondering how to calculate the length of the pentrating ray?

would it be something like 1/cos(theta_t)?

how would you calculate (theta_i ) and (theta_t) and (gamma_t)?

please help me out here!

Thanks

Greg

Hey Arno

Thanks for your inputs and patience! I am still working on it.. but I guess it might take me sometime to finish the shader. There are still some parts that I didnt understand, I will ask you again when I have my thoughts gathered.

BTW great paper on the topic, helps me to clear out some of the questions!

Thank!

Gregory

Um, I've gone to the site and the paper I'd like to read is not working with the pages links. Could you double check the pdfs are working for download

Thanks

-k

18003[/snapback]

Hmm... it should work (I had no problems to download it from the site)... If you still have problems, I can sent you a copy via email...

Arno

Thanks for posting this shader spice. I was having some fun with it today. :)

22724[/snapback]

Nice to see some goodlooking results :) Currently I

BTW, would it be possible to extract this "hairy ball" geometry, so that I can import it to my proprietary renderer?!

22728[/snapback]

Sure thing, I hope obj format is ok. It's actually only half a furball, didn't want to throw around hairs that you won't see. :P The geometry contains UVs too btw...

Clicky Click

Cheers!