Hair revisited

Marc

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Folks I am trying to wrtie a RSL shader using the formular proposed by Marschner et al. 2003 at SIGGRAPH. But I am having trouble understanding some of the concept in it . Iam more of a programmer than a mathmetician(my math background isnt that good at all). I am wondering if anyone could simply the formular for me, and post it here. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Folks I am trying to wrtie a RSL shader using the formular proposed by Marschner et al. 2003 at SIGGRAPH. But I am having trouble understanding some of the concept in it . Iam more of a programmer than a mathmetician(my math background isnt that good at all). I am wondering if anyone could simply the formular for me, and post it here. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

17788[/snapback]

Hi,

I

Hello Arno,

Thanks for the quick respond. I wanted to write a renderman sl shader for Maya. I am having some problems implementing the concept. Maybe you could give me some hint on where I should start. The calculation of R, TT, and TRT seems quite hard for me to understand, the formular in the paper

throws me off at some point. Is there a way you could explain to me how the R, TT, TRT is calculated? Sorry if my questions sound dumb. I want to write my shader using sl and use it with maya. Unfortunately, my math isnt that good either but I really want to be able to understand the whole concept and be able to produce the shader.

Thanks!

Gregory

Hey Arno

Thanks for your inputs and patience! I am still working on it.. but I guess it might take me sometime to finish the shader. There are still some parts that I didnt understand, I will ask you again when I have my thoughts gathered.

BTW great paper on the topic, helps me to clear out some of the questions!

Thank!

Gregory

Um, I've gone to the site and the paper I'd like to read is not working with the pages links. Could you double check the pdfs are working for download

Thanks

-k

18003[/snapback]

Hmm... it should work (I had no problems to download it from the site)... If you still have problems, I can sent you a copy via email...

Arno

• 6 months later...
BTW, would it be possible to extract this "hairy ball" geometry, so that I can import it to my proprietary renderer?!

22728[/snapback]

Sure thing, I hope obj format is ok. It's actually only half a furball, didn't want to throw around hairs that you won't see. :P The geometry contains UVs too btw...

Clicky Click

Cheers!