romanus

Display particles by percentage

Hi guys,

Is it possible to display only a percentage of pre-calculated particles? In 3dsmax I use prt loader from thinkbox and it's really helpful when using millions of particles. You can scrub the viewport in real time understanding the motion of particles without the need for flipbook.

Thanks,

Rui Romano

One way could be to add a `Delete` node with a filter expression such as 

$PT % (1 / 0.2) == 0

where 0.2 would be your normalized percentage (equivalent to 20% here).

hum, it seems that houdini has to read the file and then delete... so, it seems that it will become slower. 
But if i really need to have fast viewport display, I could use that expression and render to a new sequence, right?

Thanks ChristopherC!

Oh right, you'd like to partially load the particles from a file—sorry, I should have checked what PRT Loader was before answering. I'll let someone more experienced reply then because I'm clueless :)

That being said, I don't know if deleting particles after loading them will make your viewport much faster if you're displaying them as points. But it will definitely help if you're copy stamping some geometry onto them.

I just stumbled upon this, and wanted to say thanks Myke for adding the example file, the AW node works perfect!