Weird Span Pattern on Pop´s Dop´s

Mzigaib

If I simply create a pop network with a "location" pop dop or even a source pop dop and I put a expression to emit just on the first frame like "$FF == 1" and align my camera to the Z axis I see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-HefI_IgMo

I see a wipe pattern of the particle disappearing and I couldn't find a way to get a rid of it and I already tried in 3 different versions of Houdini in Linux and Windows.

Anyone else had this particular issue? Anyway to get rid of it?

Thanks.

It happens if you use life variance attribute and random initial velocity indeed.

luckily you can override those attributes, if you create your own lifespan or your own initial velocity the pattern doesn't show up anymore. It must be a strange combination on how attributes are generated during the creation of particles. 

I would report it to sesi

The way I do to avoid it is to use a camera looking to the Z axis, the particles are ripped from -X to X+ and yes it happens with velocity variance in place.

Good to know that it is not just me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ah I see. It seems to be related to the seed, and that the same seed is used everywhere (I guess). Diving into the POP Location DOP, into the "setup_life" VOP - alter or replace the seed so that it is unique.

post-9276-0-98626300-1432000099_thumb.jp

edit: Just noticed Jeff Lait answered the same on your crosspost over at sesi, so yeah this is definitely it. 

Edited by Skybar