Windows users beware

This policy makes a lot of sense for Home users, and even some small businesses (non-tech savvy ones like retail, for example). I'm a little surprised that Microsoft took this long to implement it, with the huge amount of exploits and botnets just waiting for an exposed machine to gobble up.

On the other hand, for industries requiring complete control over the system this isn't a good fit. Having your entire render farm or floor of workstations reboot to fix an IE security issue will likely have some people up in arms the next morning. There needs to be some wiggle room for when to install patches in those cases. 

On the other hand, for industries requiring complete control over the system this isn't a good fit. Having your entire render farm or floor of workstations reboot to fix an IE security issue will likely have some people up in arms the next morning. There needs to be some wiggle room for when to install patches in those cases. 

when you have a deployment server you can self define the update time but there is a time limit when it will update automatically. was i think 10 months

With regards to the default privacy settings, you can turn pretty much all of the "sharing" features off:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

...you really shouldn't have to do this in the first place, though. You should always have to explicitly opt-out of keeping your data private; the default should be private.

• Like 1

Sure. But where?

OSX?  => http://www.macworld.com/article/2922722/no-oculus-rift-for-the-mac-but-your-mac-couldnt-handle-it-anyway.html

For the price of MAC Pro with FireGL cards I can get a lot better PC. And no OGL problems. I don't need mobile hardware in desktop computer.

And that's just one of many examples.

Linux? 

UE4 is still not officialy supported there. Graphic driver support is laughable. Wacom support is laughable. Shitload of programs is not there. 

And that's just couple of many more examples.

Dual boot?

If companies needs pipeline, and they hire many people to takes care of that, than I need this pipeline even more. And dual boot is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think about smooth pipeline.

And that's just one of many examples.

Sorry, there is still no alternative to Windows out there if you need to be flexible and have access to bleeding edge hardware. And with Nutella behind the Microsoft drive wheel (geek not a salesman) I don't think that you will see this day anytime soon. Hololens is prime example of it.

EDIT. And to keep it on a joke side, Jordi, let me end it with a quote from Body Snachers: "Where you gonna go, where you gonna run, where you gonna hide? Nowhere... 'cause there's no one like you left."

;)

for any company where the software supports Linux, like H and Nuke, linux is imho is the only option.

my wacom works fine,

my opengl works just fine,

at home I have a dual boot, I game and work on windows, and I code,sim and render on linux

Even if your don't use any Microsoft software once so ever, Google is still watching you...  How do you think the NSA searches through the terabytes of data they collect every day, they're probably not using ask jeeves.

Unless your not connected to the internet once so ever, everything you do is logged somewhere by someone.  At least Microsoft is owning up to it.  

Edited by captain

Guest mantragora

3dcoat is available on linux too

Do they pay for the time it takes to switch to their software?

for any company where the software supports Linux, like H and Nuke, linux is imho is the only option.

my wacom works fine,

my opengl works just fine,

at home I have a dual boot, I game and work on windows, and I code,sim and render on linux

What is Nuke? Is it some kind of realtime plugin for Unreal or Unity?

On 8/4/2015 at 4:48 AM, tinyparticle said:

With the release of Windows 10, I am done with Microsoft. I think everyone should be aware of what is going on in terms of privacy and security, not just from a single individual perspective but from a global one. This is really bad.

[removed]

Edited by Georgie
derp post...

its a bitch to get it run on wine, but once it runs, it works quiet fast on ubuntu with wine

sounds good, is the decimation master and other plugins functional?.

windows is taking 2.5GB of ram, it sickens me,  i tried a boot in manjaro xfce yesterday, on idle its running 500mb

not to mention 20Gb of system files( grew overtime ).

im not sure though if the rolling release part is going to be of a problem.

With the release of Windows 10, I am done with Microsoft. I think everyone should be aware of what is going on in terms of privacy and security, not just from a single individual perspective but from a global one. This is really bad.

performance difference is of average

new features are what seems to me stolen from linux.(not all mind you)

its like having a slower version of Linux

Im also done with windows, that's my last upgrade

i hate sounding like a hater.i like windows, but im leaving it for the same reason i left xsi, the dev is pointing on a different direction it seems
Edited by willow wafflebeard