Scale problem from Maya to Houdini

sultan

Hi,

yes, I think you got it right now. I`d only have one more note on this. 

Its good to realise that scaling the object on SOP level, although completely legal, has two mayor disadvantages:

1) on large meshes you may notice that its slower. on multi million meshes it is a lot slower. because instead of doing just a single transform on the object level you are running transform operation over all points in your mesh. 

2) since you are applying transform basically as a part of the modeling this is not easily transferable to many objects (you have to do it manually). this may be a very big problem, especially with scenes containing a large amount of objects. It may also be a problem to transfer a SOP transform to some special objects like camera for example. With a null as a transform object, you can simply parent it to all objects in the scene and you`re done. Changes are painless and very quick.

cheers, D. 

1). Correcto !!! :)

2). Not experienced this, but will keep it in mind :)

Thanks davpe :)

But, try this: Create a default Box in Maya in Meter units and then import it in Houdini (meter), you get extremely Large Box in Houdini which is not of same size as a default Box of Houdini (which is in meters).

Why this happens ?? now even both Maya & Houdini are in meter scale

Waiting for your answer...

Because unlike in real world, in between softwares there isn`t really a physical distance to compare units. and unlike engineering softwares , digital content creation softwares are not obliged to satisfy ISO standards. The dimensions may or may not match but the proportions will match. and that is what matters.

The reason you get extremely large box in Houdini with an object exported from Maya with Maya set to meters is maya to Houdini scale ratio is 100 times. so no matter what you export from Maya, either scale it in Houdini, or while exporting change the export options in Maya with FBX option box.

I would really like SideFX to clarify this, what is the rule for creating an 1 unit object in Houdini. Is it the pixel count, Is there an OpenGL requirement set by opengl guys?

Edited by tricecold
  • Like 1

Hi,

yes, I think you got it right now. I`d only have one more note on this. 

Its good to realise that scaling the object on SOP level, although completely legal, has two mayor disadvantages:

1) on large meshes you may notice that its slower. on multi million meshes it is a lot slower. because instead of doing just a single transform on the object level you are running transform operation over all points in your mesh. 

2) since you are applying transform basically as a part of the modeling this is not easily transferable to many objects (you have to do it manually). this may be a very big problem, especially with scenes containing a large amount of objects. It may also be a problem to transfer a SOP transform to some special objects like camera for example. With a null as a transform object, you can simply parent it to all objects in the scene and you`re done. Changes are painless and very quick.

cheers, D. 

I totally agree with you also, transforming an object inside a Geometry is basically nothing else but deforming it, even if its not changing shapes. Altough, scaling it with a transform object inside geometry will not goive you a performance hit, unless you key the transforms inside the geometry

Edited by tricecold
  • Like 1