Houdini 16 Wishlist

20 minutes ago, _dv said:

One more small feature - select points (or other components) in viewport by clicking them in geometry spreadshit.

It's already there.

In Geometry Spreadsheet next to the "Attributes" is little = button. RMB click and hold to it and in its context menu pick "Auto". Then switch to component mode and in Geometry Spreadsheet you can select those components.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pezetko said:

It's already there.

In Geometry Spreadsheet next to the "Attributes" is little = button. RMB click and hold to it and in its context menu pick "Auto". Then switch to component mode and in Geometry Spreadsheet you can select those components.

This work, thank you Petr.

Some interface problem in switching between spreadsheed and viewport, but overall it works  )

here is a small improvment: don't accept wrong characters (like a space or something like that) into channel fields (in property editor) when mouse focus-click over viewport

to avoid annoing situation - when cursor focus into input field and user press space to rotate viewport, for example

• Like 1

On 6/1/2016 at 4:47 PM, LaidlawFX said:

Picky, picky, ;) I'm all in on Houdini Engine at the moment. Yeah please all, submit 100% repro of the Viewport Bug. I will pay in beer(if you're in the PNW).

#75708  bug fixed in 15.0.504, now only #75661 to squash before this viewport stuck-geo might get a look in ;)

12 hours ago, magneto said:

I just tried it but Houdini still evaluated everything at that frame. Does this feature really exist?

Yeah - it works, as Petr wrote, but perhaps it could be more intelligent somehow. Automatically selecting/ not updating the objects that were last selected so that when you drag with the middle mouse button some objects always do not get updated. How does it work in Maya? Also Dops should be included in this too.

On 6/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, marty said:

#75708  bug fixed in 15.0.504, now only #75661 to squash before this viewport stuck-geo might get a look in ;)

_,.---.,_
   <_  .'." _>
   |_""---""_|
   / ""---"" \
   \         /
    | "  " "|
    |       |
    | - - - |
    (       )
     "-----"  

Put one on my tab. 

Regarding MMB dragging/clicking on the time bar: I'm not sure I understand what's being discussed exactly, but in Softimage this does a pseudo-move of the time cursor, in the sense that time is updated to the current position of the cursor moved with MMB, but the animated scene remains at the frame from where the time cursor was moved. This allows you to set keys to animated objects w/o updating their transforms/properties (keeping animated values) to other frames.

Is this what's being discussed/proposed here? Cause' if that's the case I raise all of my four thumbs (hands+feet) .

Yep! That's exactly whats being asked for. It allows you to set keys quickly on any frame, and on any object, without having to update the scene. That helps both speed (in the case of an expensive to solve network) and moving animated channel data across time. (Making sure objects hit the same points at different frames).

Houdini does have two ways to do this, but they are too fiddly to do at rapid speed.

I asked for the same thing earlier in this thread, so I'm happy to hear others don't think the Houdini implementation is quite good enough. Id say its the main thing that stops me doing much character animation in Houdini.

11 minutes ago, rich_lord said:

Yep! That's exactly whats being asked for. It allows you to set keys quickly on any frame, and on any object, without having to update the scene. That helps both speed (in the case of an expensive to solve network) and moving animated channel data across time. (Making sure objects hit the same points at different frames).

Houdini does have two ways to do this, but they are too fiddly to do at rapid speed.

I asked for the same thing earlier in this thread, so I'm happy to hear others don't think the Houdini implementation is quite good enough. Id say its the main thing that stops me doing much character animation in Houdini.

When you say Houdini does have two ways of doing it, are you talking about putting the scene solve in manual? It might be helpful to explain the current process of "solving" around the issue by doing it as XYZ, even if it is bad. So when you request the rfe it becomes a shortcut method to doing XYZ and is easier to implement. I think I'm following you guys, but the speed up is still confusing me. 

7 hours ago, tortangeggplant said:

also may i add a little bubble notifier showing the closes frames under the cursor when hovering in the playbar..
this helps us see actual frame numbers instead of little ticks especially in cases where frame range is quite dense. also if your using the creation desk.

RFE # 76132

• Like 1

On 6/26/2016 at 4:09 PM, fatboYYY said:

Rename Node Hotkey just like in Nuke (default:N)

It's already nearly impossible to find available hotkeys in Houdini as is. Furthermore, single letter hotkeys in the Network View are usually frowned upon.

11 hours ago, edward said:

It's already nearly impossible to find available hotkeys in Houdini as is. Furthermore, single letter hotkeys in the Network View are usually frowned upon.

I'm curious why this would be an issue?

I noticed all the hot keys changed lately, such as r for shift+r, switch inputs. I can understand replacing some modeling ones for more complex options, as contextually they won't make sense as much anymore. 

17 hours ago, edward said:

I just want an option to set a hotkey for it.

• Like 1