Houdini 16 Wishlist

11 hours ago, thx1138 said:

1) Visualizers Presets or make Houdini to save visualizers with scene file. It's very tedious to recreate all this stuff with each new session.

You can actually save your visualizer settings as default and from H15 (or H14 even) on you have the options to save both scene and global based visualizers.

edit:

Ooh, got ninja'd with the launch event, pretty neat!

Edited by acey195
  • Like 1

Would like to see a preference to auto-set the viewport pivot, i.e. where you click with the view-tool the viewport sets the pivot. So you can more 'naturally' navigate the viewport.

Also some sort of auto-set/bias to set the near clipping plane. Foreground clipping isn't pretty

Edit: different UI sizes per monitor - i.e. a 2k and 4k monitor

@6ril we have this on macOS, well at least on one monitor ;)

Edited by tar

5 hours ago, marty said:

Would like to see a preference to auto-set the viewport pivot, i.e. where you click with the view-tool the viewport sets the pivot. So you can more 'naturally' navigate the viewport.

Isn't that what space + z does?

5 hours ago, j00ey said:

Isn't that what space + z does?

More like what shift+z, but without actually pressing those keys. Other apps such as Z-brush and C4D do this. The viewport pivots on where you click.

according to sesi its their biggest release yet 

copy&paste from the launch event registration page

JOIN US... for the launch of Houdini 16 - our biggest release yet - before it's released to the public in mid-February.

The launch event will include a keynote presentation by Houdini product experts (which will be globally live-streamed), and a social mixer afterwards to network with friends and colleagues.

Edited by mattvfx

8 minutes ago, mattvfx said:

according to sesi its their biggest release yet

Every company says that their most recent release is the best & biggest release yet; it's standard marketing hyperbole, and usually worth ignoring. Always good to see the actual feature list, as the proof is in the pudding. And according to 3D world, this pudding is thick and juicy. 

@LukeLetellier @mattvfxYup - the best critical feedback comes from @amm and @McNistor, both write sometimes here, on SideFx.com and on Si-Community. No doubt H16 will be good but there is always releases afterwards that will be bigger and better, we hope :)

@michael are you going to ask 3D World magazine to pull down their March issue? It has all the new features of H16. i.e. should we buy it now before it is censored  EDIT: SideFx have retweeted the magazine, so I assume it's all legit.

Edited by tar

first takeaways from the magazine review, H16 appears to be missing updated cloth and plasiticty, noticeable by it's absence, but there is a 'super fast spring-based solution' muscle system, so maybe that can be hacked for cloth?  Oh the water tension looks rad! Viewport cusping & 3d mouse will quell the repetitive 'damn-stupid-box looks like shite' queries. OpenCL is everywhere, SOP node et al, and, luckily Apple just did some updates to it's OpenCL on Jan 4. Pyro is fully OpenCL - looks to be backported to H15.5.721 as all OpenCL is turned when quickly checking the nodes. and nice work on the network nodes, that folder-like look is a great idea :)  

Would doubly like to see more OpenCL metrics available in the Performance monitor.

while the March 3D World issue seems to have been released (not in North America yet?) I'll be deleting any links to the pdf of the issue. this has nothing to do with SideFX or H16 - it's just not cool to be posting issues of the mag - buy it.

I bought the magazine and most of the stuff is just a longer version of what we already know. 

Still hoping that the cloth system will get an update. Its just not that comfortable atm and very inconvenient to apply forces. Also it could give some better looking results for everything beyong letting a piece of cloth fall down or attache to a body. 

Edited by Heraklit