draz

ILM and Houdini

I was reading a thread posted on CG Talk that linked to http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5299 discussing a possible move to Linux at ILM. The last paragraph states that they are using Houdini Select. I was curious why they would be using select instead of Master. Surely they can afford the difference in cost. Any thoughts?

Yeah, that's true. I guess if a tool does the job that needs to be done then that's what you use. I'd like to read more about how Houdini fits into their pipeline over there.

Yeah, that's true. I guess if a tool does the job that needs to be done then that's what you use. I'd like to read more about how Houdini fits into their pipeline over there.

How it would fit into ILM's pipeline? Well, if you (really) know Houdini you won't need to read any further!

Well since I've only had Apprentice for a little while I don't really know it that well at all. I'm assuming they would use it primarily for it's particles system.

i've always read that they use maya for particle/rigid bodies..all dynamics.. which was really suprising, so reading that line about houdini was a pleasant suprise.

I always thought that ILM never used Houdini and have been wondered for a long while. However, this is indeed a very pleasant surprise. :D