Houdini 15 Sneak Peek

Briefing viewing the HD version only noticed one small change in the viewport - EDIT: The light icon is nothing, H14 does the same on Mac Mini Intel graphics.

It's demoed on a MS surface, which has an Intel GPU. HQ Lighting has always been disabled for Intel GPUs as they'd error out.

• Like 1

It's demoed on a MS surface, which has an Intel GPU. HQ Lighting has always been disabled for Intel GPUs as they'd error out.

Thanks Mark - I wonder when/if Intel will ever be good enough for work in GL or CL!

Thanks Mark - I wonder when/if Intel will ever be good enough for work in GL or CL!

I have to give Intel credit, they've come a long way in GL support. Their recent drivers are pretty stable, performance is decent for the hardware, and the new Broadwell/Skylake CPUs even have GL4.4 support (Haswell GL4.3) - which is impressive, considering where they were at a couple of years ago. HQ Lighting is pretty brutal on processor graphics though, as it's very bandwidth hungry.

• Like 2

I have to give Intel credit, they've come a long way in GL support. Their recent drivers are pretty stable, performance is decent for the hardware, and the new Broadwell/Skylake CPUs even have GL4.4 support (Haswell GL4.3) - which is impressive, considering where they were at a couple of years ago. HQ Lighting is pretty brutal on processor graphics though, as it's very bandwidth hungry.

Does the system only use the CPU's graphics capability if you don't have a dedicated GPU Mark?

Cool as - will be fun to test out some of the new cpu gpu's next machine update!

heh,heh...it´s going to be out in a couple of weeks. Do you really wanna play pixel hunting?  :P

It's quite relaxing and fun to try to hunt down leaks. In years past I've run all the production software in beta, OS, 3d, Comp, render etc and it's not just crazy hard to not leak any info yourself, but nailing bugs when your whole machine is ready to crash and burn at any time makes a zen like mediation seem easy :)... also managing the 7+ bootable partitions is insane too.

Does the system only use the CPU's graphics capability if you don't have a dedicated GPU Mark?

Intel's OpenCL is probably best used to target the AVX units of the CPU. 64b addressing support, all the cores + SMT, 256b FP - that's probably the way to go. Not sure if you can target the CPU cores vs. GPU slices in Houdini, but it's likely possible in the Intel CL interface.

Ideally if you have a discrete card, the Intel GPU and discrete GPU would show up as separate CL devices. I expect that both would show up for Vulkan as graphics and compute devices, but that's a ways off yet :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that means the 15th, riiight?  :)

We are 15 hours into the 15th here in NZ and no sign of H15, save the new banner on the SideFx.com site.... looks like it means 15th Oct 2016...  :unsure:

We are 15 hours into the 15th here in NZ and no sign of H15, save the new banner on the SideFx.com site.... looks like it means 15th Oct 2016...  :unsure:

marty you are really a poor boy you life in the backpacker dreamland NZ. btw do you have a empty couch? ;-)

well i think sesi should make a custom time like TIT => Tornoto Internet Time or SIT, HIT :-)

btw. don't forget to release your baby today after all that drinking, partying..... 

Who in the world have time to read such long list? o_O

haha there are people who complain that the list for there tool's is small and you complain about a list that is tooooo long. if you want you can change your tool that will solve this problem :-)

• Like 1

Guest mantragora

if you want you can change your tool that will solve this problem :-)

I will, to H15 :)

The link is dead, seems it wasn't ready for mass public.