Particles from Houdini to Maya

6 hours ago, haggi said:

There is no need to rename it as begeo, partio should be able to read bhclassic directly.

Actually the respawn version(0.9.6a) dont work like that,you have to rename to bgeo.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/partio-discuss/KQ1lGFNu-Cs/ACJ2eeDogOQJ

And from the mouth of the creator

https://github.com/redpawfx/partio/issues/37

Edited by georgeivan

14 minutes ago, haggi said:

Okay, did you really try it? In the source code you can see:

data["bhclassic"]=readBGEO;

What means, bhclassic should be handled as bgeo. But maybe the code on github is newer than the plugins.

It dont read bhclassic at least the versions i have.i havent compiled any version yet, the ones i have work fine, just the extra step to rename.

On 2017/8/15 at 8:58 PM, georgeivan said:

It dont read bhclassic at least the versions i have.i havent compiled any version yet, the ones i have work fine, just the extra step to rename.

rename to bgeo works! thx.

but directly save to bgeo format crash when import,weird 

4 hours ago, horizon1231 said:

rename to bgeo works! thx.

but directly save to bgeo format crash when import,weird 

Nothing weird there. bgeo is now a threaded format (multithreaded IO), but bhclassic is single threaded (as older versions of bgeo used to be single threaded too). I use XSI as well as Houdini and Eric Mootz (now part of the Fabric Engine team) built a plugin wrapper for Partio that encounters the exact same problems.

I use another route for transferring Particles to Maya or Max, and that's to use the PRT exporter from Houdini and then use Krakatoa in Max or Maya to read the PRT cache. You don't have to own Krakatoa to make use of the PRT loader. Once the demo version goes past 30 days it simply applies a watermark to renders but all other functionality remains intact.

Link to the Houdini PRT exporter - Flip Switching Monkey PRT exporter 

The exporting from Houdini is single threaded but the PRT loader in Maya/Max is fully threaded. When working with large particle counts simply Wedge your sim into multiple caches (using different seeds) overnight. This provides more flexibility and performance once you want to work with your particles in Maya/Max. If the particle counts a sub 1 million the extra effort probably isn't worth but the ability to use a threaded PRT loader in Maya/Max is definitely worth it with larger particle counts.

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2017 at 8:24 AM, jonmoore said:

Nothing weird there. bgeo is now a threaded format (multithreaded IO), but bhclassic is single threaded (as older versions of bgeo used to be single threaded too). I use XSI as well as Houdini and Eric Mootz (now part of the Fabric Engine team) built a plugin wrapper for Partio that encounters the exact same problems.

I use another route for transferring Particles to Maya or Max, and that's to use the PRT exporter from Houdini and then use Krakatoa in Max or Maya to read the PRT cache. You don't have to own Krakatoa to make use of the PRT loader. Once the demo version goes past 30 days it simply applies a watermark to renders but all other functionality remains intact.

Link to the Houdini PRT exporter - Flip Switching Monkey PRT exporter 

The exporting from Houdini is single threaded but the PRT loader in Maya/Max is fully threaded. When working with large particle counts simply Wedge your sim into multiple caches (using different seeds) overnight. This provides more flexibility and performance once you want to work with your particles in Maya/Max. If the particle counts a sub 1 million the extra effort probably isn't worth but the ability to use a threaded PRT loader in Maya/Max is definitely worth it with larger particle counts.

Nice,i have again the same problem and there is no partIO compiled for Maya 2018,also i cant use Maya instancer with Krakatoa