od|force forums

Marc

Hey

There is a new version of the forum coming soon, and I'm just starting to take a look at the code and the design/layout. Forum design hasn't changed much in the years which is probably a good thing, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to see if anyone had any sites that they love from a layout perspective?

Thanks

Marc

Andrew, send me a screen shot and I'll consider it ;). So does anyone use any other forums out there that they absolutely love? I know od|force is the pinnacle, but it's never good to rest on your laurels. 

M

edit: If anyone is interested in testing the new features, please PM me.

Andrew, send me a screen shot and I'll consider it ;)

Is it not visible?  http://i.imgur.com/0K9tDG8.jpg

I don't mind if the majority end up wanting bright colours. I can always tweak and edit it. I use stylebot (with chrome) for those wondering. Allows you to select elements on a page, change the colour, font, width/height, border or even just remove them completely. 

• 2 weeks later...

Functions on this forums are great, I like that I can customized a lot of stuff (filtering recent topics etc.)

I'm missing just single functionality: expanding all the pages in single topic to the one long stream in single page.

I prefere scrolling in the single page then skipping between 2-10 pages to keep my brain focused on the topic.

I thought it was there but I cannot find it anymore, so for the new forum this one would be great.

• 2 months later...

With the current layout I like that there isn't much overhead, it's just straight to the point which is the threads and posts. At first glance I have to scroll a lot to get to that:

post-9276-0-82715100-1456955030_thumb.pn

Maybe it's because of that message because I haven't signed up. But still those other two, the block with Forum Name and Chat Rules are very big and in the way imo. At the very least Chat Rules could be moved to a dedicated page or something, I suppose it's something you want people to actually read - but for people like me who visit here more than once every single day it will be annoying.

Another thing I really like about the current layout and miss with the new, as a frequent user, is the Recent Topics we have here to the right. At times it gets the attention to new threads that would otherwise be buried and go unnoticed quite quickly. It's also really useful when you have some downtime at work, you take a quick peek there to see if there is something new you can answer quickly.

With the current layout I like that there isn't much overhead, it's just straight to the point which is the threads and posts. At first glance I have to scroll a lot to get to that:

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2016-03-02 kl. 22.42.19.png

Maybe it's because of that message because I haven't signed up. But still those other two, the block with Forum Name and Chat Rules are very big and in the way imo. At the very least Chat Rules could be moved to a dedicated page or something, I suppose it's something you want people to actually read - but for people like me who visit here more than once every single day it will be annoying.

Yeah that's fair. The forum rules could stay as a thread inside the forum, I'm ok with that. I was trying it out to see how it felt. I'll experiment a bit to see if I can get it better.

The big annoying one is because you're a guest. Hopefully it encourages people to register ;).

Another thing I really like about the current layout and miss with the new, as a frequent user, is the Recent Topics we have here to the right. At times it gets the attention to new threads that would otherwise be buried and go unnoticed quite quickly. It's also really useful when you have some downtime at work, you take a quick peek there to see if there is something new you can answer quickly.

Yeah I'll take a look again. For me I turn that box off and just click on unread content, but I can see how it would be useful ;). Hopefully I can add it in a way that people can disable it if they need to.

Seeing the new one improves my opinion of the current one ;)

It's the price of progress! :). There's not much to be done unfortunately, unless we want to stick on this older, less secure version of the forum. Although on the plus side, I hear that comment every time we switch the skin, and a few months later after the dust has settled and you have time to get used to it, then that feeling goes away ;).

M

• Like 3

Also, I'm putting up ads to help support the site. I'm sure 99% of you have adblockers, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. But if you ever feel like being generous, then disabling the blockers while you're on here would be much appreciated ;).

M

• Like 1

I also feel like new look is less pleasing merely because it's new. After first moment, I got used to it and I like it.

Marc, if odforce needs money to run, I don't think this would be problem for many folks here (surely not for me). I personally would prefer to keep forum  clean (without adds), and donate upfront anytime. 

• 2 weeks later...

ok so after digging around it's possible to do something like this:

If you donate we can upgrade you to an ad free group that will last for a year. I would imagine that any donation would give you the same benefit so as to not penalise poor starving artists ;)

Does that sound like something that would work? Guests will always get ads.

As for now I've disabled the ads for registered users on the new forum, so go over... register and let me know what you think of the skin without the ads.

Thanks

Marc

Tried it out a bit now, a few things:

I miss the Joined/Location/Name under peoples profile pictures. The first two isn't super important, but Name is very nice.

Signatures seems to be gone?

Number of times an attachment has been downloaded, not very important but nice. Also attachments looks like links, is there a way to make them look more like an attachment?

When making a post/topic you can't preview before posting.

Edited by Skybar