od|force forums

Marc

Tried it out a bit now, a few things:

I miss the Joined/Location/Name under peoples profile pictures. The first two isn't super important, but Name is very nice.

Signatures seems to be gone?

Number of times an attachment has been downloaded, not very important but nice. Also attachments looks like links, is there a way to make them look more like an attachment?

When making a post/topic you can't preview before posting.

• Name is a good one to bring back. I'll try to add it once we've upgraded the current forum. It will have to be hacked into the template :), so I'd rather work with real data.
  • I've flipped on signatures, so they should be there. 
  • Download count seems to have been taken out. There's a plugin to restore it, so I can add it later.
  • They removed the preview functionality since the editor displays things the way they'll look as you go. I'm not sure I agree with this, but whatever.

Agreed with all the points listed by Skybar.

Also, it feels like a lot of wasted space on full screen :

k3iBNU9.jpg

• I flipped it to fluid width. Let me know if it's more better ;)
  • Like 1

Hey all

Hopefully you've had a chance to play around with the new forum. If you haven't then now's your chance. If all goes well then we will be rolling out the upgrade in the next couple of weeks. There has been some discussion regarding ads, so this is the rollout plan since we're not now and never have been setup to receive money from anyone ;)

- Rollout upgrade with new skin

- Enable ads for everyone

- Install, configure and setup paypal/https/donation plugin

- Allow for donations to remove ads

That's the plan. All feedback is still gladly welcomed until we upgrade, I will update this thread once there is a firm date for the upgrade.

Also you'll notice in the test forum that there is a new type of forum category, which is a QA style forum. We will be rolling this out in a limited capacity in one or two of the forums to test it out. If it seems like this is the preferred method for asking questions then we'll look into switching the main question forums over to this style (General H questions etc.)

Thanks

M

Just took a peak and kicked the tires a bit. Looks fine to me.

Only look-feel comment is the design seems a bit airy, or negative-spacey. I personally prefer my ux on the denser side. But that feels like just aesthetic tweaks.

To be honest the front page will be going away since it's hard to maintain. We are looking into adding a plugin for the forum that has a 'featured content' type thing (like zbrush central, cgtalk etc.) so we can promote really cool things to the top of the forums. Perhaps that will grow to become a front page thing again... who knows :)

Just took a peak and kicked the tires a bit. Looks fine to me.

Only look-feel comment is the design seems a bit airy, or negative-spacey. I personally prefer my ux on the denser side. But that feels like just aesthetic tweaks.

Hey

I've adjusted some of the padding and colors, so it should be better now. Take a look and let me know what you think.

M

http://staging.odforce.net/

Showing a clear screen for me.

Is it possible to see all allowed attachment types and download permissions on a new forum? There is a slight inconvenience at this moment: strangers from google cannot see attached pictures of some users. While it make some sense to restrict scene files to encourage registering, it is less useful for descriptive images showing of something.

Two quick questions :

Are ads actually enabled ?

As I don't see any, even as guest browsing the forum, with adblock being disabled.

If we register for the "staging" forum, do you advice us to pick another user name ? Or will the current forum user database just overwrite the staging one once we migrate ?

Edited by br1

• 2 weeks later...

The ads should just show up as a grey bar right now. Google ads discourages you from putting the ads up on a dev site.

If you register now just use whatever you like, however I wouldn't if I were you because this:

ANNOUNCE!

Sometime this weekend, when you least expect it (ie. when I have some time), I will be taking this forum down (not down as in downtown, but down as in offline) to upgrade it to the latest and greatest version. This will likely take a few hours, so I encourage you to use the time to get off the computer and do something else ;). When we come back we will have all the latest gadgets to play with. If you haven't yet go to: http://staging.odforce.net/forum/ to take a look at what's coming. 

Thank's to all who tested it, let's all hope the new version is more bug free than the current one.

M

• Like 2