Which Linux For Houdini?

Atom

CentOS seems to be the most commonly used, but Maya compatibility is probably the only reason for that. I've been running Houdini on Linux Mint at home without any issues. But I'm no Linux master so I was looking for the most user friendly distro.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because of all the finicky driver issues I've given up on Centos 7 (see all my other threads!)

So now will take Luke's suggestion and switch to Ubuntu LTS

The only other app I will be running is Nuke, and AFAIK fully supported on Ubuntu.

Trying to decide between Ubuntu Studio and Ubuntu Mate

Anyone reading this use either?

Edited by art3mis

Thanks

Too many options

The recommended version of Ubuntu is 14 for Houdini.
But my understanding is that has something to do with the newer compiler that ships with Ubuntu 16

I'm not interested in plugin development.
Am I safe with the latest Ubuntu?

You'll be fine with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (or one of the cousins like Ubuntu GNOME). Note there are two releases of Ubuntu that could be "14" so it helps to be specific. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is a long term support release which would also work. Ubuntu 14.10 is not a long term support release and would be a bad idea to install at this point. I wouldn't go with Ubuntu 16.10 either even though it's the latest because it's not a long term support release.

ubuntu-mate isn't that bad in terms of bloatware. And for novices like myself there is both streamlined support for Nvidia drivers as well as a MUCH larger community should you need help. Having said that I may give CentOS7 a 2nd try at some point in the future.

Edited by art3mis