Which Linux For Houdini?

Atom

1 hour ago, shawn_kearney said:

I can't quite put my finger on why

Well, I think I can: On Linux there is no one trying to convince you to buy apps, to finally register your operating system, to watch some Hollywood movies or to finally guess your apple-id. On Linux they don't block your view with pop-ups either, nor do they try to be stylish with huge icons, fading effects and large touch menus. I used to look down on Linux when I was in school. Setting up a system took ages and there were always issues a friend of mine had to fix. And the UIs were so clunky! But now I find it really usable.

• Like 1

Linux is certainly the highest performing OS, but the negatives are when you need to maintain it, use a broad range of design apps, video editing, working with Red Camera files, DaVinci etc, and, collaboration tools like Google Drive don't have native apps.

Hi there,

I ask here without open a new topic... I read some of your comment and I understand the better distro for pipeline with Maya and Houdini is Ubuntu or CentOS right? 

But what do you think about Mint? does is it ok for Maya/Houdini?

because... I started to study linux system on virtual machine (VMWare Player) but I have a lot of problem for install Maya (Houdini and Fusion works in all case... Houdini give me some problem with a VGA, but I think the problem is the "virtual VGA" not "real VGA" however I try in the next step). So, if I install Mint can I install without issue Maya?

Thank you and sorry Atom for my question here

Matteo

Ps.: I choose Mint because have more basic application inside and I don't became crazy for install software more easy software.

3 hours ago, matEvil said:

But what do you think about Mint? does is it ok for Maya/Houdini?

If you're going to use Maya then use CentOS, Fedora, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux. While it's technically possible to install Maya on Debian based distributions (like Ubuntu and Linux Mint) it's a pain in the ass and if anything doesn't work Autodesk won't help, they'll just say to install it on a supported distribution.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2016 at 7:51 PM, lukeiamyourfather said:

If you're going to use Maya then use CentOS, Fedora, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux. While it's technically possible to install Maya on Debian based distributions (like Ubuntu and Linux Mint) it's a pain in the ass and if anything doesn't work Autodesk won't help, they'll just say to install it on a supported distribution.

There  are a lot of solutions(video,etc) for Deb distros or you can use script from github for more easy install-just google it.
I have Linux Mint and enjoy with Maya(working perfect) and Houdini.

Edited by Iskander