Sign in to follow this  
Strooja

Artifacts in Volume

Hi Guys,

i have a weird problem. When i render a cloud with depth map shadows everything looks great in render view.But when i render about mantra node to hard disk there a some artifacts. fThe Light setup is a sun light and a shadow map  of 4k. I changed every settings in the shadow tab, like bias,blur,quality... But nothing happen.When i change the light position, the artifacts appear on a other place. So i think there is something wrong with the light.

Has anyone an idea what the problem is??

Here a both pictures:

Left: Mantra Node  Right: Renderview

post-11569-0-33055000-1454466698_thumb.j

post-11569-0-67285000-1454466699_thumb.j

Edited by Strooja

If I recall correctly, the render view tab is only using raytrace shadows, whatever the settings you put on your light.

Render in mplay to double check you still have this problem, or switch to raytrace shadows and render through your mantraROP, you should have the same result.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, the render view tab is only using raytrace shadows, whatever the settings you put on your light.

Only if you have Preview checked.

@iamyog thank you very much. i heard about it. But i forgot it. In mplay are the same problems. I have to use the depth map for a task  thats the problem.

Have anyone an other idea?

Edited by Strooja

Try rendering to .EXR file format. As Hamp mentions, other file formats have gamma issues out of Houdini.

Can you post an example HIP file?

i've found renderview doesn't always do the correct pre-processing.  for example, if you have a geometry light that uses point-clouds, it won't recompute the point cloud if you change settings.  could be something similar with generating depth maps.  try stopping and restarting the render to force a refresh.