Navneet Arora

Electric Trail Effect

hey guys,

i am trying to create an effect similar to the image which i have attached . its kinda electric trail but looks like fluid(smoke), can anyone suggest how to proceed with this?

As of now iam creating a line and assigning some jitters to the point to create wacky shapes but still nowhere close to this.

post-8512-0-19949600-1455541248_thumb.jp

Try the lightning preset of the L-System then render it out and post glow in After Effects or other compositor.

Hey atom thanks for the reply,

Actually i have been trying out Lsystem and my own setup but seems like the look n feel doesnt match with this, Could you throw an example file in free time?

murathan , thanks for the time but i have already created something like this but the image has some fluid feel in it, like something we get while rendering from krakatoa, i am not able to achieve that in houdini

I guess the fluid feel here comes from the thickness and the blur of the lightning effect. It is not razor sharp as basic rendering would create.

So I would try two things:

- try to just a little bit smooth out your lightning

- play with blur, Glow, timeshift in Compositing - I am pretty sure compositing makes this.

yes its pretty much compositing part but still i think it has something to do with the alpha values too because it fades out smoothly.

Maybe add a ramp parameter for the width of the rendering and let it fade out smoothly at the end?

For the sides blur the alpha only in Comp?

any idea about wrapping around the object with those secondary tendrils?.

Render out the basic effect then use that as a simple alpha image map on a cylinder.