Jump to content
mosssi

Water dripping

Recommended Posts

Hi guys

I'm trying to simulate a dripping effect like the attached photo but my object is a sphere which doesn't have a concave surface and it can't hold water. So do you know a way that I can emit flip from the wet surface of the sphere in the way that look likes it is drying for few seconds? I tried emitting Flip from object but it emits from a SDF and its nothing like this dripping.

post-14228-0-16538400-1456966131_thumb.j

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also very interested in this. I have been trying to set up a scene which allows fluid to drip down the sides of an object and then form into droplets on the underside. However, as an absolute beginner in Houdini I'm not sure about how to approach this.

It seems that by default liquid does not properly stick to surfaces realistically. Presumably this is because most of Houdini's default settings are intended for larger scale simulations?
I have been experimenting with "stick on collision", surface tension and viscosity but can't seem to get a convincing result.

I spent a lot of time searching around the internet but haven't had much success in finding relevant content. If any of you more experienced users could shed some light or point us in the right direction it would be highly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i too would be really interested if some could explain this methodology. i have been trying using dot product to break the liquid when it is at certain angle but it seems that it isn't working.

 

  Any insights on this would be of great help..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U can try scattering points onto the geometry and directly call into source volume(source flip). then slow down the nearby particles on surface of the sphere.. check if this method works and let me know.

spheredripping.rar

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, vijayakumar said:

U can try scattering points onto the geometry and directly call into source volume(source flip). then slow down the nearby particles on surface of the sphere.. check if this method works and let me know.

spheredripping.rar

Oh, that's cool. Really cool. Exchanged the sphere for a torus, added some rotation, just to see how it would handle a more complex object and movement - and it did, brilliantly. 

So yeah, an awesome setup. A much appreciated share for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, vijayakumar said:

U can try scattering points onto the geometry and directly call into source volume(source flip). then slow down the nearby particles on surface of the sphere.. check if this method works and let me know.

spheredripping.rar

Is this setup using all the nodes inside? I see mypoints used for the SOP Solver, etc but there is no mypoints. Are these nodes not used?

It would be nice if the scene was cleaned up from unused nodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, magneto said:

Is this setup using all the nodes inside? I see mypoints used for the SOP Solver, etc but there is no mypoints. Are these nodes not used?

It would be nice if the scene was cleaned up from unused nodes.

mypoints is the name for geometry points where dist attribute is calculated. In gas particle to field  the geometry we want to process is specified.. so in this case its mypoints. Please take a look at the gas particles to field node.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vijayakumar said:

mypoints is the name for geometry points where dist attribute is calculated. In gas particle to field  the geometry we want to process is specified.. so in this case its mypoints. Please take a look at the gas particles to field node.

Thanks, I checked it but I don't see mypoints group created in SOPs or in DOPs and I inspected the Geometry in the DOP and still don't see any mypoints group.

If you dive inside sopsolver in the middle of the simulation, you will see that dop_geometry node still has 0 points. I disabled the sopsolver and the result looks the same.

Can anyone verify this please?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magneto said:

Thanks, I checked it but I don't see mypoints group created in SOPs or in DOPs and I inspected the Geometry in the DOP and still don't see any mypoints group.

If you dive inside sopsolver in the middle of the simulation, you will see that dop_geometry node still has 0 points. I disabled the sopsolver and the result looks the same.

Can anyone verify this please?

Hi magneto,

you were correct. it was not reading the points since it is connected to vel volume. sorry..i should have converted into fields and then read the dist..wanted to make it fluid slow near the sphere.. but the vel as a whole got slowed down it seems. il check into it and update the file. thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. here is the updated version on fields.. previously it wasn't working.  in gas field vop, distance and speed ramp(promoted outside) controls how particles stick to the surface.

spheredripping01.hip

Edited by vijayakumar
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×