Randomize time offset on alembic instanced objects/files

I was initially using instancing because stamping all the copies could take I lot of time, off course I wasn't trying to use those attributes or the alembic technique.

So, using the setprimintrinsic() vex code on a wrangle to change the "abcframe" is it the best way to go?

And guys I can't thank you enough for the help you are awesome! 

Just an update:

I got it working with the "abcframe" and also "abcfilename" attribute, what was happening is that my @timeoffset custom attribute wasn't a float tipe, now it is working like a charm, thanks again guys for the tips.

Cheers!

Edited by Mzigaib
  • Like 1

Hi it's me again  :blush:

I am running in to a problem where I found out that if I have one alembic node with a certain hierarchy or where the path attribute is different if I try override the "intrinsic:abcfilename" attribute to change my geometry on render time with a alembic that differ from the original one any of those ways it doesn't work I would like to know if there is a way around it or do I have to really create and stamp through the different alembic nodes when they differ?

I hope I am making sense, thanks!

Edited by Mzigaib

well, 100+ is more than you'd want to merge.  i was thinking it might be like 10.  then you could cull out points into say 10 different groups and then stamp onto each of those 1 of your 10 different alembics with time offsets, then merge all 10 into a single geo.  with 100+ that is not a real solution...

could you combine them into a single long alembic?

could you combine them into a single long alembic?

No it would be a mess not practical, I didn't try yet but I'll stick to do my offsets overriding the "instrinc:abcframe" attribute I hope that at least this one works.

I won't be changing all the hundred alembics, there are main types and subgroups that I'll choose, inside each main types I'll have around 20 that would be mixed like trees as main type and different sub types of trees, grass and subtypes of grass and so on and forth. I am trying to gather all the options in one tool. For now I am trying to do something that can handle maybe tens of thousands of tress or grass depending on the shot.

well, if you are able to hack the abc frame after the fact, you might be able to use a stamp to vary your alembic instances using the stamp() function and then write that out to disk as a geo so you won't have to re-build over and over.  then go back thru and just update abc frames... not sure if that's accessible outside the pack or not....