Solid Angle bought by Autodesk

McNistor

Isn't it also anti-SESI move? Maya lacks power off-the-shelf renderer. You always need to buy one. Now they can add 10 Arnolds per seat for free. Lot's middle sized studios using Houdini for Mantra may lose appetite for mixed pipeline... 

It's an anti everyone move, especially with 2016 ser pack 2 targetting Mo-graphics i.e. C4D. The classic response to unipolar superpower is to form an alliance and rebuild.

I guess Autodesk doesn't want to work with nVidia (Mental ray).  I personally still use Mental Ray, there are old shaders but they do the Job, some quite well.  As for render engines I liked Octane.  

BiFrost development is going to move very slow, Autodesk keeps buying tools, last it was MASH, now Arnold and don't really work on existing tools like BiFrost which has so much potential.  It seems as if Autodesk has gone wild. Sure Maya won't die anytime soon, it still has a large user base but as for the development of the software, as I said, it's gone wild. 

Edited by Arthur Spooner