Sign in to follow this  
PlatinumFishy

Cookie/Bool Help

I am trying to make a simple drill using a cone and a spiral sweep polygon. I try to cut into the cone using the spiral sweep but I can't seem to get the cookie to work properly. Any suggestions or alternative ways to achieve this?

Spiral.hipnc

Edited by PlatinumFishy

my general opinion is to not use cookie.  ever.

• Like 2

cookie works pretty well with watertight geo.

3 hours ago, 6ril said:

cookie works pretty well with watertight geo.

if you can be 100% sure that the geometry does not have geometry at the same position at the cookie object (incidental faces)
and it will also quickly fail with very sharp angles (high frequency noise) I think.

For one-off tasks cookie is fine, if you can always verify the result.

For more procedural tasks, I go with Fathom...
avoid them like the plague, locking yourself into using cookies is a bit of a "newb trap" :P,
because you have to be sooo careful with your procedure that you will likely limit the possible outputs more than you would using other methods.

Sure it is often a bit more work, but VDBs or clips are much more stable.

Right, but clip is a very limited action, and VDBs are great unless you work on a large complex model (a full building for example).

I've only used cookie once, for a building that I need to expose via complex animated clipping, and it was (with my level and with the help of this forum) the only way to go. I tried VDBs / combine/ convert, but it is way way too slow when you need to keep fine details.

Of course, a more reliable cookie sop would be very very welcome !

ok yeah for maintaining sharp corners VDBs are kind of heavy if the details are small.

There are some tricks you can do with the clip node though ;), you can save the point positions,
then deform the object so that it is unwrapped along the cutting line, clip it, and restore the original point positions.

Credit to Kim for giving the idea:

Just rewrote the basics in VEX, and note that this method does have some quirks as well, but those are mostly inaccuracy problems, actually break it is a lot harder than with a cookie :P

MorphClip.hipnc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acey195 said:

ok yeah for maintaining sharp corners VDBs are kind of heavy if the details are small.

There are some tricks you can do with the clip node though ;), you can save the point positions,
then deform the object so that it is unwrapped along the cutting line, clip it, and restore the original point positions.

Credit to Kim for giving the idea:

Just rewrote the basics in VEX, and note that this method does have some quirks as well, but those are mostly inaccuracy problems, actually break it is a lot harder than with a cookie :P

MorphClip.hipnc

Pretty awesome way, Twan

Working far better than cookies or VDB!