mikenon

Fixing overlapping geometry after sweep

Hi - I am executing a sweep which produces overlapping geometry when the radius of the path is tight. I would like to produce clean geometry from this with no overlapping surfaces. Clean->Fix Overlaps did not work. Is there a solution for this?

tightSweepExample.hipnc

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 12.53.45 PM.png

It depends how flexible you want the system to be, but a first easy approach would be to.

1-Sweep a line first

2-use triangulate 2d on that shape. this way you'll get rid of the overlapping polygons.

3-extrude the shape in the Y axis to give thickness

Thanks - Is there a way to do this that maintains enough flexibility so that the whole curve could still bend in 3 dimensions? Also, for the Triangulate2D solution, what options do I use? Every combination I tried on the model attached from original post just creates a large triangle with the swept path as sub-portions of the mesh.

Edited by mikenon

Thanks!. Im still hoping for a way to fix overlapping polygons in general. But your solution works well for this case. Thank you.

On 6/10/2016 at 6:24 PM, mikenon said:

Thanks!. Im still hoping for a way to fix overlapping polygons in general. But your solution works well for this case. Thank you.

PolyExpand2D is a great leap in the right direction, this is not a trivial issue to fix :P.

On 10. Juni 2016 at 6:24 PM, mikenon said:

Imho you should rather develop modeling workflows that dont lead to overlaps than expecting software to magically fix bad topology. ;)