I'd like to know if anyone has done something like this in Houdini? Applying a mobius transformation to a simple grid for

example? The formula looks straight forward....if you can read maths, which I can't!

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~mwilliams/complex.html

I've been looking around for code examples of

a Mobius transformation but haven't found any good examples which I could reproduce in Houdini. It would be interesting to hear

if any one has done something like this, or can translate the equation into readable code for a non-mathematician :) 

mobius_generic.png

mobius2_thumb.png

Edited by sessionbeer

Macha did:

but reading the video description kind of hurts my brain :D

@Macha can you shed some light on how u did it and whats going on?

Finally we have a thread that has more disturbing images than the differential growth thread! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply @petz your code is far more simplistic then some of the examples I have been looking through! Very interesting. Thanks again :)

I couldn't let this one go; python sop is a little slow (though having a built in complex type is super handy), thought I'd try and port it to vex.

This is substantially faster than the python one, the code is a little messy. Tried to get a complex struct happening too, but that got boring really quickly, so just abused some vector2 variables instead. :)

Interesting that there's some errors in the vex one that aren't apparent in the python one; not sure if that's due to vex precision errors, or because my complex divide function isn't doing the right thing; I found a few C examples of dealing with complex number, some did lots of tests within their divide functions for when values were near 0, I went lazy and found another example that did no testing at all....)

-matt

complex_v02.hip

• Like 6