H16 at Siggraph?

animatrix

12 hours ago, michael said:

wrt the node shapes...sometimes you have 1500 nodes in an HDA and it would be nice to identify node types at a glance - instead of having to zoom way in to find the node you're looking for.

A better Tree view would also help, and, being able to draw in the Network view would be rad. It would then be easy to annotate and encircle things with a pencil tool, aka a freeform network box. 

Also hoping for nice tools to move, scale and rotate the positions of nodes, to help the layout

Ohh I really want to test the new surface tension model! I hope also some OpenCL news on this version (wranglers), and the most important thing, a robust subversion system for assets (GIT, :)).

Cheers!

Edited by Pazuzu
  • Like 1

How about adding a zoom level dependent icon? So at normal zoom levels the node shapes are the regular ones, and you only get the representative shapes when you zoom out beyond the ability to read the name and any details. 

I agree that seeing all those shapes at that zoom level seems a bit cartoonish, but would be super handy on massive networks. 

• Like 2

I love that idea. Very useful. Colours are great, but there are always nodes that you want very easy access to. Something like a scale slider or in true H fashion a value ladder to boost it's size 

I'm also curious because in the roadmap they Robert said the shapes can be custom. I imagine there will be stock shapes for most node types then. Maybe it might be useful as another quick identifier to only have select nodes with the new silhouette and other to remain as blocks.

So many possibilities, im sure they will get it right though.  

Edited by abvfx
  • Like 1

On 13 August 2016 at 6:35 AM, edward said:

That was added into Houdini 6.1 . Here's a quick demo that I made in H15.

PoseIK.gif

Thanks Edward :-) I tried it out and it works. It behaves a bit different and could use a small improvement with inspiration from Blender but it works! It is a timesaver for fast animation without the need of a rig so thanks for pointing it out. I'd say thats personally the miss of the decade, haha I've used Houdini since version 5 and never used that feature.

4 hours ago, Mikael Amion said:

It behaves a bit different and could use a small improvement with inspiration from Blender but it works!

Which is that? Sorry, you posted a video and frankly I don't have time to look at videos in detail anymore these days.

12 minutes ago, edward said:

Which is that? Sorry, you posted a video and frankly I don't have time to look at videos in detail anymore these days.

I understand and I'm not even sure it is mentioned in the video. In Blender you can travel with the middlemouse scrollwheel which bone that is the current active root for transformation. That is a feature that makes it fast and interactive for traveling up or down in the hierarchy. Probably something that can be scripted in Houdini. 

• 1 month later...