Jump to content
aoisaki

How to creat subdivision pattern ?

Recommended Posts

I saw this awesome video yesterday.

 It's so cool!!!!! But i can't find any information for doing this in houdini.

I want creat some stuff like this so much,Can you guys give me some idea or 

some information for how to creat stuff like this! Thank you very much!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stuff. It consist of four types of triangle subdivision, applied recursively. They all are built in or possible to recreate in Houdini:triangle_subdivide.PNG

  1. Edge Divide + Divide (Avoid Small Angles turned on);
  2. TriDivide;
  3. Subdivide (OpenSubdiv Loop);
  4. Subdivide.

First is the tricky here, since I don't understand what logic was used in this particular video to select which side of triangle to divide. And the whole idea behind driving setup is unclear for me also.

 

triangle_subdivide.hipnc

 

Ok, after a bit of thinking it seems like a matter of deciding which kind of subdivision to use in 3-4 repetitions in a row. Try it first.

... and after another bit of watching actual video, I don't see "Subdivide" type anymore, the type creating three quads. It wasn't used, I guess.

Edited by f1480187
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think C4D, as Max, has some nifty selection tools where you can select points/edges/polys by pattern, using default selection sets provided by the tool. You should be able to recreate them by grouping edges by pattern, even grouping more than once and combining, then start playing with the different subdivision types - as well as with the selection patterns.

I think this is a good example on a feature implemented in a 3D app as you couldn't create it using the tools of the app, that you have to recreate yourself in Houdini because you can create it using the tools in Houdini. It reminds me of one of the first things I wanted to do, learning Houdini. I wanted to rotate a particle around its velocity axis, a feature available as "standard" in Pflow and Thinking Particles. In Houdini you gotta build that in a VOP (or using VEX), not very easy if you don't know what a quaternion is. This feels kinda similar to that. ;)

Edited by Farmfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am also working on some custom subdivisions 

@f1 you are really a sensei! 

odforce.JPG

Edited by deniz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Farmfield said:

I think C4D, as Max, has some nifty selection tools where you can select points/edges/polys by pattern, using default selection sets provided by the tool. You should be able to recreate them by grouping edges by pattern, even grouping more than once and combining, then start playing with the different subdivision types - as well as with the selection patterns.

I think this is a good example on a feature implemented in a 3D app as you couldn't create it using the tools of the app, that you have to recreate yourself in Houdini because you can create it using the tools in Houdini. It reminds me of one of the first things I wanted to do, learning Houdini. I wanted to rotate a particle around its velocity axis, a feature available as "standard" in Pflow and Thinking Particles. In Houdini you gotta build that in a VOP (or using VEX), not very easy if you don't know what a quaternion is. This feels kinda similar to that. ;)

I think c4d didn't have this kind tool.

The creater say it's all built in python.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, f1480187 said:

Interesting stuff. It consist of four types of triangle subdivision, applied recursively. They all are built in or possible to recreate in Houdini:triangle_subdivide.PNG

  1. Edge Divide + Divide (Avoid Small Angles turned on);
  2. TriDivide;
  3. Subdivide (OpenSubdiv Loop);
  4. Subdivide.

First is the tricky here, since I don't understand what logic was used in this particular video to select which side of triangle to divide. And the whole idea behind driving setup is unclear for me also.

 

triangle_subdivide.hipnc

 

Ok, after a bit of thinking it seems like a matter of deciding which kind of subdivision to use in 3-4 repetitions in a row. Try it first.

... and after another bit of watching actual video, I don't see "Subdivide" type anymore, the type creating three quads. It wasn't used, I guess.

Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aoisaki said:

I think c4d didn't have this kind tool.

The creater say it's all built in python.

Well, it was so long since I used C4D I shouldn't really comment about it, but I know 3ds Max has - and that's in regard to the pattern selection tools, the subdivision part I'm unsure of, but probably not so much. 

And it doesn't surprise me it's scripted, the more you learn Houdini the more you reach for VEX, it's all about that low level control, and my experience is the cooler the stuff you see, the more VEX (or Python, Maxscript, MEL) is in it. 

One thing that strikes me, though, is how you create selection patterns like this on generic triangulated meshes where you don't really have a pattern in the poly/edge numbering. I'm guessing it's the same math/methodology as doing polywalk setups, you start at one point and spread out from that. I feel I really have some way to go before I'm at that point where I can set that up, doing unfolds and alike, the stuff that F1, Pavel, Andrew and their likes can do in their sleep. :D 

Edited by Farmfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

subdivide_triangle_pig.jpg

triangle.PNGrhombus.PNG

 

Recreated all three subdivision types in VEX. It now fast and uses some input parameters. Didn't achieve any worthy results with animating this stuff, however.

 

 

subdivide_triangle.hipnc

Edited by f1480187
code fix
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, wowness. Damn, F1, that is really cool.

In regard to animation, in the video in the first post, seems like he's just using color noise to control subdivision iterations, not very complicated if you got the base for the subdivisions themselves. But I would propose you could do some seriously cool animations with this using it in conjunction with a polywalk or unfold setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naeh, just the techniques in themselves, couldn't find a Houdini example of unfolding, but this is an extreme one done in C4D... 

As for polywalk, Andrew Melnychuk did a series about it here. This one is on my todo list, so to speak. ;)

 

Edited by Farmfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016/8/1 at 6:14 PM, f1480187 said:

subdivide_triangle_pig.jpg

triangle.PNGrhombus.PNG

 

Recreated all three subdivision types in VEX. It now fast and uses some input parameters. Didn't achieve any worthy results with animating this stuff, however.

 

 

subdivide_triangle.hipnc

Man,you are awesome!

learn a lot!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×