Sign in to follow this  
Ber

Difference between "Pack" and "Repack" sops?

Hi everyone,

What is the difference between the "pack" and the "repack" sop ? and why should I use a "repack" instead of a "pack" sop and vice versa?

Cheers
Ber

i'm not a 100% sure. never used repack so far. but the pack sop offers way more options than repack so i guess that repack is just a slim version of pack. like if you unpack some geo, translate things a bit, just append a repack and your path attrib, etc wont be changed. if you want to change that or transfer attribs or use any option the pack sop provides you'd have to use that one.
Or, in other words, repack repacks the geo into the same state as it came in. with pack sop, you have the option to change that state to a new one.

at least thats what i think ;)

EDIT:

found something in the journal

" The repack SOP will force load all packed primitives. "

Edited by 3dome

Hi Dominik,

̶T̶h̶a̶n̶k̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶y̶!̶ ̶B̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶"̶r̶e̶p̶a̶c̶k̶"̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶"̶p̶a̶c̶k̶"̶ ̶(̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶)̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶.̶

Thanks!
Ber

Edited by Ber
Wrong answere.

Did you read the help..?

"This SOP takes the input geometry and repackages Packed Alembic and Packed Disk primitives as Packed Geometry primitives."

• Like 1

Hi David,

I did but, I made a mistake when I tried "repack" and "pack" SOPs, I didn't recook correctly the nodes :/
That's why the nodes informations were false.

Obviously they have same effects but for different kind of sources, as you indicated in your post.
-"Repack" sop for Alembics and Packed Disk prims.
-"Pack" for others geometries.
Am I right now ? :)

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/pack

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/repack

Cheers
Ber