Building a computer for Houdini, 2k€

macj89

9 hours ago, macj89 said:

CPU: Intel i7-6800K 3.6Ghz Box

Nice, this is a good bang for the buck option.

CPU-FAN: Noctua NH-D15S

If you plan to overclock then this is worthwhile. If you don't plan to overclock it's huge overkill and will be a pain to work around something that big in the case.

MoBo: Asus X99-A II

The X99 platform motherboards are more or less equivocal. That one looks fine to me and the brand has a good reputation.

RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 64GB 4x16GB CL14

The processor can't actually take advantage of that memory. If there's less expensive memory in the DDR4 2400 range then I'd get it instead because the processor supports up to DDR4 2400. This faster memory will work just fine too but it might be unnecessarily expensive. Link is below for reference for memory speed support for that processor.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

GPU:  Asus Strix Geforce GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5

This looks good.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB SATA3 64MB

Yikes. See my previous post on this drive model.

SDD: Samsung 750 Evo SSD Series 120GB SATA3

I wouldn't trust it any further than I could throw it. I'd leave this out of the equation.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro 

I'm not familiar with this manufacturer but this looks good, everything will fit from the looks of it.

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze Modular

If you pay for the electricity that the machine will be using then it's worth getting a more efficient power supply.

3 hours ago, lukeiamyourfather said:

If you plan to overclock then this is worthwhile. If you don't plan to overclock it's huge overkill and will be a pain to work around something that big in the case.

macj, his advice is very good I hope you ponder what hes said - as for this I know is accurate because I got my NH-D14 to cool for overclocking and had to get a Corsair Air 540 (big case) to accommodate it...as its the size of a god damn car battery

17 hours ago, marty said:

That's the bad drive - no 3TB version, go a 4TB or 2TB

Yeah I made an ordinary call to use two of those as a back up a couple of years back. They both died within a few minutes of each other when I tried them recently. Ouch.

• Like 1